"If only we could talk about abusing women like we do about abusing cats" article

(7 Posts)
NishiNoUsagi Mon 25-Mar-13 23:08:38

www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/25/if-only-we-could-talk-about-abusing-women-like-we-do-abusing-cats/

Came across this article, very thought provoking (but also very sad) piece about attitudes towards abuse/rape of women. Well worth a read.

chipsahoy Tue 26-Mar-13 18:30:41

Wow, thanks for sharing that. I've shared it on my FB. I'm sure my family/ friends will get sick of me, but tough!

NishiNoUsagi Tue 26-Mar-13 22:18:44

This part really hits home, doesn't it sad

"Missing from the discussion: Wondering if the cat was asking for it by being so cute and easy to torture. Blaming male hormones or implying that because it’s so sexually gratifying to torture a cat, some boys can’t help themselves. Making excuses for the cat torturers by saying that they don’t understand the difference between playing with a cat who wants to play with you and torturing it. Claiming that while cat torture is bad, we shouldn't be too eager to punish the cat torturers."

Thanks for sharing it, I think it's one that deserves to be seen!

Mandytm Wed 27-Mar-13 09:01:44

Bump - great article.

It is a very powerful comparison. I wonder why there wasn't the personal outrage that seems to follow discussions of rape culture, after all, men and boys could have felt offended that because the article discussed male children doing the harm to the cat that this meant all males were being tarred by the same brush. This feeling seems to me to underly the usual offence that speaking about rape culture can cause.

I don't think I'm being very articulate about this... Does anyone see what I mean?

FucktidiaBollockberry Wed 27-Mar-13 22:01:53

I see exactly what you mean PromChick

DaffodilAdams Wed 27-Mar-13 22:43:52

I saw this a couple of days ago and loved it. I get what you mean too Prom and agree. It is more than tiresome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now