All the trolls are rather proving our point?

(71 Posts)
PromQueenWithin Mon 18-Mar-13 13:16:52

What do you think? Their need to goad and twist everything suggests to me that there are at least a sizeable minority that really hate women (or at least only like those that know their place). Their presence in the world is evidence to me that we still really need feminism.

TrampyPants Mon 18-Mar-13 13:17:54

I agree. they are so desperate to keep the status quo, that it suggests that they DO see women as secondary to them.

Sunnywithshowers Mon 18-Mar-13 13:41:25

Absolutely. How dare women talk together about issues that affect women.

TrampyPants Mon 18-Mar-13 13:50:50

and <gasp> suggest that men shouldn't be able to do as they like.

Bad Wimmin!

Absolutely. They are just confirming that we still need feminism, that some people still think women shouldn't have strong opinions or speak out.

Actually, if anything, some of you have probably argued with me on threads before about why people wouldn't call themselves feminists. I've always said I prefer not to. Watching all these trolls has made me rethink that. So rather than dissuading feminists, they are actually having the opposite effect.

Thanks trolls.

Xenia Mon 18-Mar-13 13:58:08

Indeed.
I am not sure they think women are second. I think a good few of them fear women and think women might even be better than men.

TrampyPants Mon 18-Mar-13 14:03:51

Goths grin yay! fwiw, I didnt call myself a feminist until fairly recently either. A spate of MRA trolls changed my mind too.

we need feminism because a major new network has sympathised with the rapists, not the survivors.
we need feminism because one in four women have been sexually assaulted (although this figure is suspected to be higher)
we need feminism because one in four women will have been subject to domestic violence
we need feminism because one in three female murder victims, will have been killed by their partner.
we need feminism because MRA trolls still think that we need to shut up and put up.

TrampyPants Mon 18-Mar-13 14:04:59

Xenia, fair comment. I'm thinking of the men I know who argue the toss with me, they def think that women aren't as valuable as men.

Fillyjonk75 Mon 18-Mar-13 14:05:56

Completely agree.

VerySmallSqueak Mon 18-Mar-13 14:13:04

Sadly,women having opinions and discussing those opinions with other women still seems to present a threat to some.

Absolutely.
I have only recently realised how many men actually genuinely hate/ fear women. And it frightens me.

Fillyjonk75 Mon 18-Mar-13 17:49:49

I realised that working in a traditional male dominated environment. Some men totally discombobulated when you don't fit their preconceived stereotypes. And women, to be fair.

scaevola Mon 18-Mar-13 17:51:31

Internet trolls however troll on all sorts of sites, even bereavement ones. The bigger the reaction, the better. It is quite possible they have no subject interest whatsoever.

PromQueenWithin Mon 18-Mar-13 18:04:56

Do they? sad

I actually agree with Xenia, mra's are scared of women and especially feminist or they would leave us to it. I bet they never felt the need to break up a WI meeting...

dummad Mon 18-Mar-13 20:32:07

Many men i have come across have a negative attitude towards feminism.

duchesse Mon 18-Mar-13 23:08:01

I agree that they are afraid. Afraid of women having opinions and talking about them without any kind of male input or need to include men in the discussion or defer to them. It would all be rather sad if it didn't translate into actual inequality for women.

stargirl1701 Mon 18-Mar-13 23:09:00

Indeed.

kim147 Mon 18-Mar-13 23:09:44

I think the trolls are changing tactics. Or have been drawn here from another website tonight.

ChristineKendog Mon 18-Mar-13 23:10:02

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

runningforthebusinheels Mon 18-Mar-13 23:10:06

This board is certainly a magnet for them. They're out in force tonight. Yawntastic.

duchesse Mon 18-Mar-13 23:10:12

They were here last night as well. About the same time every sodding night.

It's definitely an invasion.

ChristineKendog Mon 18-Mar-13 23:11:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now