Indian police say Swiss rape victim partly to blame for attack

(16 Posts)
kim147 Sun 17-Mar-13 22:19:22
doyouwantfrieswiththat Sun 17-Mar-13 23:10:22

They're wrong. Poor woman, at least she's still alive.

Snowgirl1 Sun 17-Mar-13 23:24:14

Unbelievable

What a disgusting comment. I've been to India and was sexually assaulted twice (plus numerous other incidents of bring followed, leered at or shouted at). Sexual violence against women is endemic; I was shocked by it and felt very unsafe. I hope she and her husband are getting the care they need and deserve now.

cantreachmytoes Mon 18-Mar-13 00:09:46

Insane to say she was responsible, even partly.

There is a bit of naivety amongst many "Westerners" about life in the rest of the world. You cannot pitch a tent in India the way you can in Switzerland, because it's a different culture and that's not how things are done there - especially for women, with or without their husbands.

The men are ENTIRELY responsible for their actions - both the rape and beating husband - no question, but I do think that the Swiss couple were naive.

Think of it this way: would you walk around a dodgy area of town at night flashing cash? Nope, because you increase your risk of being mugged. The mugger is responsible for his/her actions, but that doesn't mean you were being prudent.

Too many backpacker types (not all of course) are guilty of treating the world like its their playground and most are VERY lucky not to have a problem.

This woman was beyond unlucky, obviously, but a bike, a tent and a Swiss passport don't make you immune from being touched by a country's dark side.

I say this as someone who lived in a similar country and never ceased to be shocked by the "exciting" things travellers would get up to, more often than not INCREDIBLY stupid based on the cultural norms of that country.

Should someone have the right to sleep in a tent untouched? Yes, of course! But in a country where no woman who actually live there would do that, it's asking a lot from Lady Luck.

Again, I'm not I'm saying this was her fault - the attackers are 110% responsible for their actions - more that there is another dimension to this that might not be entirely visible from our relatively safe country.

Snazzynewyear Mon 18-Mar-13 00:28:44

I do see your point, cantreach, but even so, it's fairly stupid of the police given other recent events to in any way seem to be minimising what the attackers did. I would basically read that as 'Female tourists and travellers, don't come to India as you are not safe anywhere at any time', and it will serve them right if indeed visits to India drop off massively. Not wishing to reduce all this to economics but it might be an effective way to make the point - for all travellers and tourists to say they will not visit and spend their money in a place where women's personal rights are so casually treated.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 18-Mar-13 01:44:21

Poor woman sad

cantreachmytoes Mon 18-Mar-13 07:45:33

Snazzy - but that's exactly right! Women's rights ARE basically ignored in many, many countries throughout the world. The policeman's response isn't what we want to hear, but is most likely a watered down version of what a lot of people there actually think - men AND women. He's not there to drum up tourism, he's just a local official and therefore not involved in a tourism PR machine.

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 18-Mar-13 08:07:03

I've always despaired at how terrifyingly naive some travellers are, and the harm that they come to because they expect the world to be good and kind and fascinating. And it so often isn't.
No, they bear no blame whatsoever, but they were unprepared for the fact that other places are not like home.

doyouwantfrieswiththat Mon 18-Mar-13 10:33:04

not like home? A few years ago a 15 yr old was raped on common land near my house, the rapist even phoned her mum whilst doing it?

I'm afraid to go out on my own in isolated areas and I live in Surrey.

piprabbit Mon 18-Mar-13 10:41:04

shock Do the Indian police really think that any man, coming across a woman unexpectedly in a quiet location, will really be suddenly and overwhelming compelled to rape her even if he doesn't want to?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 18-Mar-13 10:57:50

fries I find it hard to separate my vulnerability as a person-with-a-vagina and my vulnerability as a woman-therefore-less-physically strong. The first makes sexual assault more likely, the second makes crimes like mugging feel more likely.

I think when I'm somewhere deserted I fear mugging etc more but both are tied up with being female and I'm sure each fear feeds the other.

doyouwantfrieswiththat Mon 18-Mar-13 13:10:56

Agreed Doctrine

A life lived in fear is a life half lived...(any other Strictly Ballroom fans?).

Trekkie Mon 18-Mar-13 19:11:27

For me I guess the point is that he said that neither of the couple should have been there - he didn't focus on the woman (as I thought from the thread title).

I think he is foolish to make statements like this but on the whole it is true that some things are safer and some areas are more dangerous and to point this out to everyone is different to pointing at a specific victim and saying "you were partly to blame^.

Safety messages need to be kept separate from individual incidents.

I don't have any issue with reports saying eg women in DRC are at high risk of being raped but obviously have a huge problem with a finger being pointed at a victim saying they were in any way to blame.

Don't know if that makes sense.

Trekkie Mon 18-Mar-13 19:18:21

I suppose the other point is that it's all over the news because she was swiss, if it is the case that there are gangs of men in that area robbing and raping then what of them? And the police stance should be to try and stop it - issuing warnings as appropriate - and treating victims with utmost diligence.

Trekkie Mon 18-Mar-13 19:19:48

I mean what of all the local people it freaks me out a bit that these things are "worse" certainly more reported anyway when it's a tourist. There should be a reaction of horror and the news people should be interested irrespective of the background of the victim. Of course that's part of the trouble with the whole thing isn't it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now