figure skating outfits

(83 Posts)
pinkyredrose Sun 17-Mar-13 17:38:33

Am currently watching the figure skating on BBC2, all amazing so far so good.

But noticed that all the mens outfits cover them from neck to toe and all the women show legs, cleavage, shoulders and arms. Anyone know why this should be?

I did get my feminist hat on a little, it obviously can't be because some outfits hinder movement otherwise the men would surely have skimpy outfits on too?

Very interested to hear opinions.

mabongwen Sun 17-Mar-13 23:19:36

What I am saying is, men and women HAVE to dress differently on the ice because of the rules. Men can not wear a dress to compete, but women can wear a catsuit if they choose too but generally wear dresses because they prefer too and its a personal choice.

So perhaps the men are being supressed by not getting to wear a skirt but women can wear trousers? But that's a debate for another day.

What my overall stance on this is, the dress choices and looks are a personal choice to the skater. If she wants to wear a dress that is revealing its her personal choice! You can't say its unfair as they have a choice, the choices are non revealing dress, revealing dress or trousers.These women like to look nice and feel confident ina dress of their choosing, why take that away from them?

Why is it a debate for another day? confused

Surely, either women can choose what they were, or they can't. Apparently, they can't choose, and neither can men, and the judges and audience have a bearing on what women wear too. So, surely these things suggest it is in fact quite important, what women and men get to wear?

It's obviously not 'personal choice', as you've explained clearly. So, how come these choices are gendered, do you think? Do you think it is right to be looking at this in terms of 'taking this away'? Personally, I think that seems rather unnecessary - what do you imagine anyone wants to do that? Is it something someone has said off-board, or is that what you think people mean on this thread, even though no-one has said or hinted at it?

mabongwen Sun 17-Mar-13 23:26:05

Sorry if im sounding short, im in pain with a UTI blush

*wear, not were, apologies.

Oh, sorry, you're in pain. You're not sounding short at all, don't worry. Feel better soon.

mabongwen Sun 17-Mar-13 23:37:29

Women do get a choice though, I've flat out refused to wear some dresses and never been questioned on it, and many other skaters have done the same. You generally discuss the "look" of your dress with the seemstress she then draws up to 5/6 designs and you choose what you want.

Women do get a choice and a lot more than the men, that's what im getting at. Men do get the short straw when it comes to costumes, they have to match her and it can cause some rather nasty arguments generally involving the sentance "im not wearing pink!" or "im nit having sparkly bits" but the poor men are bullied in to submission and end up with baby pink crystal encrusted flouncy collars and cuffs lol

The costumes are really personal choice, I know you think they are not but they are. I've seen girls throw full on strips about dresses with blade guards and skates flying across a ice rink at 5am because its not the right one!

Some women are more flashy and risky than others and if you sit and watch competition after competition you will see that over time each skater develops their own style of dress that they like.

Do you not think men should have equal choice, though?

I can understand that, within the constraints you describe, women may have more choice than men - but I think it matters that both men and women have some constraints on what they wear, and I think it matters that there is sex discrimination.

Obviously we don't have to think about these issues all day, every day, but is it wrong to consider them sometimes?

mabongwen Sun 17-Mar-13 23:46:55

I do feel men should have more choice, but they normally do what they are told to keep the peace. During exhibition skating competions however there are no constraints, but during official competitions there are rules, the skirt length isna safety issue but I have no idea why the men can't wear one.

But from personal experience men hate the dresses when they put them on you get "omg these ate fucking cold" " argh it burns your arse when you fall over" " this fucking thing is riding up my arse and crushing my nuts" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now