Can't I watch any film I used to enjoy without getting all feminist now :)

(29 Posts)
kim147 Sun 17-Mar-13 13:52:59

Now it's Summer Holiday. Used to love that film but the bit when they coerce the "girls" into the bus is really annoying me/

Different times but it's sure changing my view of some films now.

KeatsiePie Algeria Mon 18-Mar-13 15:02:15

Gah, I mis-pasted. Here's what I meant to say:

Hmm, I think you're right; I do think you're meant to judge the singer. There's something about this "maybe we can find new ways to fall apart" bit though that suggests to me in combination with the line we're talking about, about the scar, the feeling of "we have a turbulent crazy relationship"; that the singer is saying that they are just crazy and dramatic together and things just got out of hand, which would seem to imply that he;s letting himself off the hook a bit. There is no line in the song that says "we have a turbulent crazy relationship"!

KeatsiePie Algeria Mon 18-Mar-13 14:58:11

Oops, that was in response to SPB. Amanda I had the same read as you on the sunglasses.

KeatsiePie Algeria Mon 18-Mar-13 14:57:29

Hmm, I think you're right; I do think you're meant to judge the singer. There's something about this "maybe we can find new ways to fall apart" bit though that suggests to me in combination with the line "we have a turbulent crazy relationship" that the singer is saying that they are just crazy and dramatic together and things just got out of hand, which would seem to imply that he;s letting himself off the hook a bit. Similar to how Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie" puts that "we're so dramatic together we both lose control and things just get out of hand" idea forth (more strongly). I do like that song too though. I really like Eminem despite myself.

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Mon 18-Mar-13 14:45:44

See I took 'my seat's been taken by some sunglasses' as referring to the kind of smooth loves himself type who wears sunglasses even in a darkened bar. The 'sunglasses' is asking what on earth happened to the young woman to leave a scar like that, thinking it's a good chat up line, all sensitive like.

KeatsiePie Algeria Mon 18-Mar-13 14:42:13

Have y'all seen the video?

I actually saw the message as once you've hurtbsomeone like that you can't just say sorry and nothing will ever actually be the same as normal. You're meant to judge the singer. Or is that just me? grin also sunglasses- I took that to indicate black eye

KeatsiePie Algeria Mon 18-Mar-13 14:38:31

Interesting, I just googled, there's a lot of scattered debate about the meaning but no published analysis in e.g. Jezebel and no comments from the band. The NYT did the most ridiculous copout on it: "Mr. Ruess’s lyrics give the album a troubling and introspective edge. “We Are Young” starts out with a confused, fumbling apology in a bar — a young man trying to atone to someone for a mysterious past offense."

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Mon 18-Mar-13 14:30:03

I like plenty of films and songs about things I don't like. I love Tracy Chapman's Fast Car, which is about living with an alcoholic father, then an alcoholic husband. The difference is that it doesn't portray the subject matter as a fun sing-a-long. That's where I struggle. I personally don't see any judgement on dv in the song, it's just a big fun sing-a-long where a man says he knows he's been so awful he's scarred his partner, but alright let's all get pissed.

KeatsiePie Algeria Mon 18-Mar-13 14:29:11

Bertie grin

I love that song. I have decided that the scar was a complete accident, singer's fault limited to some sort boneheaded negligence, though I don't quite believe it.

BertieBotts Germany Mon 18-Mar-13 14:20:22

Huh, I never saw that in the meaning of the lyrics before. I thought the "sunglasses asking bout a scar" was more of a surreal view of the kinds of conversations you have with strangers when drunk. I didn't realise that "I gave it to you..." referred to the scar itself. Duh. Actually I thought that line was about sex blush

monica77798 Mon 18-Mar-13 11:40:11

"I'm a huge fan of Public Enemy. I recently listened to one of their early songs 'Sophisticated Bitch' and was aghast at how misogynistic the lyrics are."

Lol, what? That sort of music is notoriously misogynistic, what were you expecting?

But I agree with SPBInDisguise, you can like songs/films about things you don't like. You might like watching Jack the Ripper movies, doesn't mean you condone murder. The world would be a pretty boring place if people could only sing / make movies about positive and neutral topics.

Ledkr Spain Mon 18-Mar-13 09:47:14

Yes I should do grin not sure I can convert his elderly nan though ha ha may be fighting a loosing battle.

mabongwen Mon 18-Mar-13 09:33:32

led id be so tempted to return to sender saying "nobody of that name lives at this address? grin

amanda darn it! DH still laughs about it, im waiting for pay back but were not newleyweds now and if I approached him with a knife he may worry hmm haha

I have heard the fun lyrics but didnt think the implication was that dv is ok - quite the opposite. Just because a song is about dv doesn't mean it's saying dc is ok surely?

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Mon 18-Mar-13 09:27:04

Nabongwen - much as I am keen to like the song, because I do find it absurdly catchy and it allows me to pretend I am not, in fact, in my mid-30s, I don't think I can stretch the rest of the words to an accident involving amorous newleyweds trying to cook grin. I'll grant you it could be drink driving or a similar crash which was emphatically his fault, though I'm not sure that helps me much.

Ledkr Spain Mon 18-Mar-13 09:22:37

Mrs j (insert his surname) my initial is L and I didn't change my name!!
Been married 7 years

mabongwen Mon 18-Mar-13 09:15:53

Led why were your birthday cards addressed to him?!

Ledkr Spain Mon 18-Mar-13 09:14:12

Yes I feel the same. I used to like hip hop but obviously now can't listen to it. It makes me feel physically sick. I notice things all the time now and worry I'm boring people.
I didn't even enjoy my birthday cards as lots of them were addressed to my fucking husband!!!

mabongwen Mon 18-Mar-13 09:10:06

Or they had a car accident, he was drunk driving and crashed the car confused

My DH scarred me, we were newlyweds and doing that romantic thing, you know bear foot in the kichen chopping up vegitables he came behind me to help, well 1 knife 2 exited newleyweds was never going to end well for my fingers haha!

You are right however it probably is DV (sigh) but atleast there's no specifics so it could be open to interpretation IYSWIM

AnyFucker Germany Mon 18-Mar-13 08:27:29

There is a price to pay for having your eyes opened smile

I know which I prefer though....

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Mon 18-Mar-13 08:23:23

Yes, sorry, wasn't intending to be cryptic. The lyrics are:

My lover she’s waiting for me just across the bar
My seat’s been taken by some sunglasses asking 'bout a scar, and
I know I gave it to you months ago
I know you’re trying to forget
But between the drinks and subtle things
The holes in my apologies, you know
I’m trying hard to take it back
So if by the time the bar closes
And you feel like falling down
I’ll carry you home tonight.

So, we're talking about domestic violence resulting in scarring which is visible to a casual observer in a dimly lit bar (i.e. pretty bloody awful scarring). Niiiiice.

mabongwen Mon 18-Mar-13 02:32:15

are you on about the "scar" part? because I love Fun. But that did make me go hmm

I don't think I ever really heard the lyrics to that fun song shock

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 18-Mar-13 01:56:37

No, Kim, you're doomed now I'm afraid.

grin

Sunnywithshowers Sun 17-Mar-13 16:02:19

Ugh about that song Amanda.

I'm a huge fan of Public Enemy. I recently listened to one of their early songs 'Sophisticated Bitch' and was aghast at how misogynistic the lyrics are.

I went to see them live a couple of years ago and they thankfully didn't do that one. They've also dropped a lot of their black separatist stance so I wonder (hopefully) if that song was just idiot posturing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now