Can't I watch any film I used to enjoy without getting all feminist now :)

(29 Posts)
kim147 Sun 17-Mar-13 13:52:59

Now it's Summer Holiday. Used to love that film but the bit when they coerce the "girls" into the bus is really annoying me/

Different times but it's sure changing my view of some films now.

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Mon 18-Mar-13 14:45:44

See I took 'my seat's been taken by some sunglasses' as referring to the kind of smooth loves himself type who wears sunglasses even in a darkened bar. The 'sunglasses' is asking what on earth happened to the young woman to leave a scar like that, thinking it's a good chat up line, all sensitive like.

KeatsiePie Mon 18-Mar-13 14:57:29

Hmm, I think you're right; I do think you're meant to judge the singer. There's something about this "maybe we can find new ways to fall apart" bit though that suggests to me in combination with the line "we have a turbulent crazy relationship" that the singer is saying that they are just crazy and dramatic together and things just got out of hand, which would seem to imply that he;s letting himself off the hook a bit. Similar to how Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie" puts that "we're so dramatic together we both lose control and things just get out of hand" idea forth (more strongly). I do like that song too though. I really like Eminem despite myself.

KeatsiePie Mon 18-Mar-13 14:58:11

Oops, that was in response to SPB. Amanda I had the same read as you on the sunglasses.

KeatsiePie Mon 18-Mar-13 15:02:15

Gah, I mis-pasted. Here's what I meant to say:

Hmm, I think you're right; I do think you're meant to judge the singer. There's something about this "maybe we can find new ways to fall apart" bit though that suggests to me in combination with the line we're talking about, about the scar, the feeling of "we have a turbulent crazy relationship"; that the singer is saying that they are just crazy and dramatic together and things just got out of hand, which would seem to imply that he;s letting himself off the hook a bit. There is no line in the song that says "we have a turbulent crazy relationship"!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now