"Duchness goes green on St. Patrick's Day."

(8 Posts)
TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 18-Mar-13 01:54:12

What kind of things shocked you about your female students, OP?

Mind you, this is a news story about someone who is only famous because of who she's married to. And her husband is only famous because he's in an hereditary role that has only within the last year stopped actively discriminating against women. It's not a story that's likely to atteact a vast amount of feminist reporting...

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Sun 17-Mar-13 15:06:32

Oh, I had a wonderful feminist English lit teacher at school. Didn't even recognise it at the time, but I think about her a lot. Would name her but it was a very identifiable name and would out me (at least to which school I attended) in the process!

She was fabulous when we did Wuthering Heights. Thinking a lot about the presentation or women, whether we reacted differently to Catherine racing around the moors as opposed to Heathcliff. The presentation of women in those books generally. She got me into Margaret Atwood with the Handmaid's Tale. Even just little things, like when I was much younger (she taught me every year through to sixth form by a freak of timetabling) pointing out when I was illustrating a story that women's breasts (I was drawing someone in profile, not naked!!) sloped down at the top and only sat out like footballs if they had padded bras or implants (which my slave girl probably didn't!).

Maybe you could introduce some of your more receptive students to the Bechdel test to illustrate just how often women are utterly absent from popular culture?

kim147 Sun 17-Mar-13 13:58:13

You might find this link interesting for your students.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20554942

It's how women are seen in the press.

SparklyAntlersInMyDecorating Sun 17-Mar-13 13:48:38
SparklyAntlersInMyDecorating Sun 17-Mar-13 13:48:21

Yes, here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21822063

They seem to have changed the title - but it seemed such an odd thing to comment on - a minor story I know.

I am an English teacher - that's a whole thing in itself - more females than males in my subject etc. I have been able to have some interesting conversations, and maybe even having the debate was a starting point.

Thank you for the welcome anyway. smile

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Sun 17-Mar-13 13:43:23

Was there a news article you were referring to with the title? Totally know the sort of thing you mean, but do you want to link?

We are a nice lot really. Ignore the odd mad MRA troll (mens' rights activist) - they are dead easy to spot. Dive in and debate!

As a teacher, there is loads you can do to challenge assumptions and misogyny I would think. Teachers on here might have ideas. Presume senior school from what you've said about debating?

SparklyAntlersInMyDecorating Sun 17-Mar-13 13:29:23

Or hello Feminism and women's rights board, I wish I had come here sooner!

I am tired of women being judged on the fact they happened to wear some fabric slightly better than someone else, or didn't, or should have; I'd like to hear more of their thoughts and opinions.

I am a teacher and held a debate around woman's rights on IWD - was slightly shocked by some of the assumptions and views held by female students.

Have been reading some of the threads - I wish I could do more and didn't feel so complacent, but it makes food for thought!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now