112,000 prosecutions for DV over 17 months

(9 Posts)
Sunnywithshowers Sat 16-Mar-13 19:17:30

The people I know who've experienced DV have either never reported it, or it never went to court.

My XH was guilty of DV on several occasions and wasn't charged. He once threatened me with a hammer (the 2nd time) and smashed the phone up while I was calling the police and they still didn't bother coming round to take a statement.

So 111,000 prosecutions, and so many more getting away with it. sad

FastidiaBlueberry Sat 16-Mar-13 09:46:17

Well they ALWAYS report the false rape allegation successful prosecutions of course.

kim147 Sat 16-Mar-13 08:30:12

That's the thing - so many prosecutions yet you never really hear about in the news or papers. If people were seen and heard to be punished, then maybe it could act as a deterrent.

I'm just shocked by how the figure.

Trekkie Fri 15-Mar-13 23:16:55

from guardian quoting study

The study released on Wednesday by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) reveals that during the 17-month test period – when all false allegation cases were referred to the DPP – there were 5,651 prosecutions for rape and 111,891 for domestic violence in England and Wales.

By comparison, over the same timespan, there were only 35 prosecutions for making false allegations of rape, six for false allegations of domestic violence and three that involved false allegations of both rape and domestic violence.

so not saying whether prosecutions were successful or not. Makes sense I guess from POV of a CPS report - if they felt was suitable to go ahead and prosecute, then by definition they thought as guilty.

different to how many actually get found guilty

Trekkie Fri 15-Mar-13 23:11:59

I don't believe that is successful prosecutions. It seems too many. 300+ convicted every day. Research is necessary. i can't see that, but I have no idea in my head of number of cases in courts magistrates etc every day

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 15-Mar-13 22:57:39

That's a point, I wonder if that's prosecutions or successful prosecutions?

And yes, I wonder how many of those ended in a prison sentence.

Trekkie Fri 15-Mar-13 22:55:15

That is successful prosecutions I guess?

I know that it is not comforting ie a fair few people are getting done. in light of the actual numbers being abused.

But still, that is a Shitload of DV perpetrators being successfully prosecuted (if that is what the stat means)

I would worry that the people found guilty are getting FA in the way of punishment eg have 2 weeks community service and here are your partner and kids TADA off you go. yet show up on successful prosecution stats

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 15-Mar-13 22:49:50

WA quotes that the average female victim of DV is attacked over 30 times before she actually calls the police.

And of course, not all calls end in a prosecution.

kim147 Fri 15-Mar-13 21:47:57

That was one of the facts that came out last week with the report on the extremely rare level of false rape allegations.

That figure is so high. And I wonder how much DV does not get reported. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now