Interesting infographic about rape statistics

(3 Posts)
FastidiaBlueberry Sat 16-Mar-13 20:12:09

Yes QS, women are often cornered into "consenting" because the alternative is to risk making it obvious what the man is doing - raping you. And this is dangerous - to bring out into the open that a crime is going to happen if it goes ahead, is really taking a risk. So we go for the less risky option which is to go along with it and see if we can at least retrieve some level of damage limitation.

QueenStromba Sat 16-Mar-13 14:54:01

That is really interesting, it just spurred a conversation with my DP. I bet the 78,000 is a bit on the low side especially if you include women who were too inebriated to consent and women who have "consented" because they were worried about what might happen if they didn't. There are a lot of men out there who don't even realise that they're rapists and there are even more victims who don't want to class themselves as such. I ended up back at a flat with two guys and a friend of mine after a night out. I only went because she was going to go without me if I didn't go and I was worried about what would happen to her if she went alone. I got cornered in the bathroom by one of them and knew it was happening anyway and decided that if I consented I could probably at least get him to wear a condom.

ecclesvet Fri 15-Mar-13 18:14:41

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now