Who's sexist?

(16 Posts)
mabongwen Fri 15-Mar-13 17:41:45

Oh I see, maybe im just apathetic to everything then haha as I've done 5 and am getting the same result confused

MMMarmite Fri 15-Mar-13 17:14:31

Those who say the test's unfair, this is from their FAQ:
"*Could the result be a function of the order in which I did the two parts?*
This is a very common question. The answer is yes, the order in which you take the test does have some influence on your overall results. However, the difference is very small. So if you first pair gay people + bad and then pair gay people + good, your results might be a just a tiny bit more negative than they would be if you had done the reverse pairing first. One way that we try to minimize this order effect is by giving more practice trials before the second pairing than we did before the first pairing. It is also important to know that each participant is randomly assigned to an order, so half of test-takers complete gay people + bad and then gay people + good, and the other half of test-takers get the opposite order."

Could the result be a function of handedness or hand-eye coordination?
There is no evidence that handedness influences IAT scores. When thinking about the influence of hand-eye coordination or cognitive ability, keep in mind how the test works. In a gay-straight IAT we measure how long it takes people to categorize items when gay + good share a response key versus when gay + bad share a response key. People who have better hand-eye coordination or higher cognitive ability might be generally faster to respond, but there is no reason to think that they would be faster in one category pairing versus the other. For this reason we do not think that hand-eye coordination will influence IAT scores."

mabongwen Fri 15-Mar-13 17:04:26

I just the president Obama Vs Thomas J test and got the same, no automatic preference. sad and I know if I were an American I would be democrat.

mabongwen Fri 15-Mar-13 16:54:30

PromQueen You have a point there, I am actually ambidextrous, and by that I don't mean I can scrawl my name out with my left hand. I actually have no preference and can swap without problem, each hand is as good as it's counterpart at any task.

mabongwen Fri 15-Mar-13 16:51:38

Your data suggest a little to no preference, was my result shock

Honestly shocked at that! I always normally (to my shame) associate science with men even though I have a Bsc

PromQueenWithin Fri 15-Mar-13 16:32:59

I also got moderate association (oh yeah, mentioned that!).

I wondered at the time whether the order of presentation and the need to use either right or left hand might affect things? I.e. would right handed me be quicker on that side regardless of any unconscious bias, and thus skew the results.

The large numbers completing the test remove some of those issues (assuming they rotate things) at an aggregate level of course, but individually they're probably a factor, I agree.

Yama Fri 15-Mar-13 16:32:53

Ha! Only 3% of respondents got my result.

MoreBeta - I think we are saying the same thing. They seem to know this though because on the next page it asks you why you think you responded as you did. One of the boxes is the order in which the test is ordered.

MoreBeta Fri 15-Mar-13 16:28:21

I came out as moderately associating men with science but it is a functional artefact of the test.

The reason I made a few mistakes was because the test pre-conditions you to associate men and science by the order in which it presents the pages. Once you have been through 8 page that put men and science together and then switches them around at the end in the last few pages of course you are going to make a few mistakes.

It is a poor test design.

Yama Fri 15-Mar-13 16:26:53

I got:

'Your data suggest a moderate association of Female with Science and Male with Liberal Arts compared to Male with Science and Female with Liberal Arts.'

The thing is you have to put the science stuff in the male corner first. I wonder how many people would be quicker with putting the science stuff in the female corner if they had to first. Am I making sense?

Anyway, the only ones I got a red cross for were for putting Grandpa in the female corner an Aunt in the male. Got all the Science/Humanities stuff correct so ner?

PromQueenWithin Fri 15-Mar-13 16:23:37

That's good SPB! I'd be happy with that result but I had a limited attention span and couldn't be bothered to do that one as well as the gender one.

PromQueenWithin Fri 15-Mar-13 16:22:27

It's not too bad, not more than 10 mins.

I got a bit confused and did the first
Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between Straight People and Gay People.
ooof I came to the end and couldnt remember how odl I was

Trills Fri 15-Mar-13 16:14:14

Ugh, actually it looks long and involved.

Trills Fri 15-Mar-13 16:13:44

I am aware of the possibility of encountering interpretations of my IAT test performance with which I may not agree. Knowing this, I wish to proceed

Yep. Okay. I may have unconscious associations that my conscious mind is unhappy about. fair enough.

Lurking as I can't get it to work will try on laptop

PromQueenWithin Fri 15-Mar-13 16:08:24

Has anyone tried the Implicit Associations Test from Harvard?

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/

Quite interesting, I had a moderate association with men and science, women and liberal arts. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now