M&S 'Boys Stuff'

(12 Posts)
jujubean Mon 11-Mar-13 17:54:02

I have twice tweeted M&S about their 'boys stuff' range of science toys and had no response. Today I posted on the Facebook page. I know it's small fry in the world of feminism but the insidious nature of this type of marketing drives me bonkers. If people can share and make M&S take notice I would be grateful.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151328050597401&set=o.67341283611&type=1&theater

jujubean Mon 11-Mar-13 17:55:17
mysterymeg Mon 11-Mar-13 18:24:12

What a helpful response you have had underneath hmm

Annoying too that it's actually on the box. No getting around who it's aimed at even if your little girl isn't with you at the time you shop.

jujubean Mon 11-Mar-13 18:31:40

I know, I'm kind of speechless at that comment...and two people 'liked' it. I didn't know how to respond that didn't involve swearing.

Reality Mon 11-Mar-13 18:49:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BelaLugosisShed Mon 11-Mar-13 19:37:58

It's ridiculous, I honestly don't remember crap like this 15-20 years ago when DD was little, even ELC are guilty of this gender dividing garbage and don't start me on Toysrus, the last time I was in there it made my blood pressure rocket!

jujubean Mon 11-Mar-13 19:45:56

Thanks Reality, you are so much more eloquent than me.

FreedomOfTheTess Mon 11-Mar-13 20:07:36

Jujubean - my sister works for M&S, in a managerial role, so I've e-mailed her this link. I pointed out that you've contacted them twice, and have no response, and asked her if she could "prod" the relevant department a bit.

As for that Geraint - it's a prime anecdotal comment - "my sisters wouldn't have been interested in magnets when they were young," so Geraint the Goon automatically assumes therefore that no girls will be interested.

I'm tempted to sign up for Facebook, just to reply to him!

Lessthanaballpark Mon 11-Mar-13 20:12:49

Jujubean - if it makes you mad come join our Let Toys Be Toys campaign which was homegrown here on FWR and is doing all kinds of stuff to stop this annoying segregation.

There's also the petition.

You're right, it's so damaging that science toys are marketed at boys and then everyone wonders at the lack of women in science-based industries.

jujubean Mon 11-Mar-13 20:34:30

I like your campaign. Pink lego......arggghhhhh....don't even get me started. Thank you Freedom for letting your sister know.

Trekkie Mon 11-Mar-13 21:13:57

It's telling that the people who think this is fine and have no problem with it are all blokes.

I'd think twice before stating categorically what boys and men like, never having been one. especially if I was contradicting a bunch of men and boys in doing so.

Not that way for our male commenters on your post though.

Honestly are they just a bit dim? Utterly blind? What is up with them? I've just realised how odd they are.

jujubean Mon 11-Mar-13 22:33:24

God help their daughters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now