Did anyone just hear Anne Atkins on Thought For The Day?

(21 Posts)
CashmereHoodlum Thu 07-Mar-13 07:59:15

I'm just off on the school run so can't stop to discuss it now but shock

kim147 Thu 07-Mar-13 09:37:18

Yes - and it got me wondering too. She seemed to be an advocate for forced marriage which is something I've never understood. Then she was talking about "I will" in a marriage, not "I do".

CashmereHoodlum Thu 07-Mar-13 12:17:43

I've just listened to it again and she said "the husband's body belongs to his wife, he has given himself away, as she has too, so submit to the person you love".

I don't understand why this woman is even on TFTD. Her main qualification seems to be that she is married to a vicar. We don't have people performing surgery because they happen to be married to a doctor so why are we subjected to Anne Atkins in the morning? I wonder what Evan Davies makes of her. Pity she isn't in the studio with them really.

Was this about 'wives submit to your husbands and husbands love your wives' then? It's a passage frequently referred to in evangelical circles as meaning that the greater role of sacrifice is on the part of the husband and therefore the 'submitting' bit is not in fact demeaning or dangerous to women. I attend church every week and I don't accept that passage at all.

Will use listen again, sounds like Anne and I will be disagreeing, again.

CashmereHoodlum Thu 07-Mar-13 12:34:37

She does quote "husbands love your wives" but it isn't clear whether the bit I have posted above is her own words or a quote.

No - she was talking about the pluses of arranged marriages, not forced ones.

Her perspective was that a marriage based on practicality had its advantages - that relationships involve a degree of purpose rather than being buffeted along by emotion (hence "I will" rather than "I do")

But for all that, I find it hard to feel comfortable with arranged marriage - not least because of the miserable way so many people of my acquaintance spoke about it when I was younger - as a big looming cloud, rather than as something positive. And that's men as well as women.

SirEdmundFrillary Thu 07-Mar-13 12:55:59

I heard her. I think a lot of what she says needs questioning.

SirEdmundFrillary Thu 07-Mar-13 13:53:52

Actually, what am I saying? I disagree with everything she says. AnneAtkins, if you would like a discussion please contact me.

CashmereHoodlum Thu 07-Mar-13 14:04:22

Yes, we need to get her on for a webchat to explain herself.

SirEdmundFrillary Thu 07-Mar-13 15:18:05

That won't necessarily help grin

Xenia Thu 07-Mar-13 15:46:37

If both side accept an arrangement marriage that is their choice.
If someone is forced - a very different thing - then it'#s not good.
Arranged marriage is no different from making sure you hang out at the rugby club or both went to oxford or both play bingo every Sunday night - it's just matching to your class, race, religion, IQ type.

SirEdmundFrillary Thu 07-Mar-13 15:50:16

Xenia, I thought we were talking about what Anne Atkins said.

I listened to the words that she said and I disagreed with them.

Greensleeves Thu 07-Mar-13 15:56:25

Oh she is an odious woman. She's pro-smacking as well. She seems to be on a perverse mission to piss off as many other women as possible.

SirEdmundFrillary Thu 07-Mar-13 16:07:38

xemi, sorry, I mis-read,I agree smile

SwedishEdith Thu 07-Mar-13 16:15:36

I'm surprised she managed to say anything at all - she takes so loooooong to make any kind of point.

Anne Atkins is basically a nutjob, the female Stephen Green - right-wing Christian who hates everyone. She has no power, she's just a rentagob, like Melanie Phillips or what's that why-oh-why whinyarse bloke that posts in the Daily Fail about bringing back smacking and getting women back in the kitchen...

(I once slapped her right down on a talk show, she was livid. How I smirked.)

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 07-Mar-13 17:33:26

I didn't hear this, and I normally hover in the kitchen if it's an AA TFTD because I loathe her so much that I have to hear what abysmal tripe she is going to say.

I don't know who she thinks she is - we have been treated to her ill-informed drivel on everything from animal rights to literary criticism, and I don't understand why!

CashmereHoodlum Fri 08-Mar-13 10:37:38

Anne Atkins AND Katie Hopkins will be on This Morning, err, this morning. It's a dream team of gruesome twosome nutterdom. I can't bloody wait.

DrRanj Sat 09-Mar-13 09:58:11

There is more and more sexist guff on channel 4 these days...

DrRanj Sat 09-Mar-13 10:02:33

Sorry, mean radio 4. Every time I tune in they seem to have a woman "expert" who's sole purpose is to pedal misogyny, but it's ok, because they are a woman... And the sad thing is the BBC probably believe they are being balanced.

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 09-Mar-13 11:31:38

I hate TFTD, but luckily don't listen to it these days. I always though they should have "tip of the day" like how to get rid of the smell of garlic on your fingers and stuff like that. It would be more useful and make the world a better place. grin

But did have a look at wiki entry of Anne Atkins. She wrote books! And got the first ever complaint to the BBC by CoE! An achievement. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now