Am I a bad feminist...

(13 Posts)
AlanMoore Mon 04-Mar-13 11:24:44

Just realised what topic this is in blush

To expand a bit more, I have a daughter and a son. 'Big' stuff is gender neutral as far as possible and they can have what they want for more transient things.

In priniciple I believe they can choose what they want but in practice society is horribly sexist still, so while I have no qualms about baby DS having pink shoes, for example, I wouldn't let my daughter have a buzz cut until she is old enough to understand and deal with the negative comments etc it might attract.

I wouldn't let them have their bedroom that pink you're on about OP, cos their room is tiny and it gives me a migraine! Pale pink fine though and they do have a horrible pink duvet that DD picked.

AlanMoore Mon 04-Mar-13 11:13:13

I'd paint it off white and let him choose a pink duvet set. Agree with the pp who said they wouldn't let a toddler choose something so difficult to change!

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 04-Mar-13 11:09:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 04-Mar-13 11:08:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GingerPCatt Mon 04-Mar-13 08:40:54

Thanks for the messages. I think we'll paint the room a pale green with animal stickers.
I just am trying to be conscious of treating him differently than I would a dd.

OneHandFlapping Sun 03-Mar-13 17:35:17

Paint it yellow or something and decorate with pink stickers?

FarelyKnuts Fri 01-Mar-13 21:45:19

Hmm. At a similar age when moving my DD into her big girl room I actively avoided pink grin But then I gave her no decision in the colours and just painted it how I thought it would look nice and age well with her, so not too babyish either. Its pretty gender neutral as it happens Lime green and burnt orange which looks better than it sounds wink

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Fri 01-Mar-13 21:12:38

I feel your pain, Ginger. I do "test" any pink choice more than any other.

<sits on bad feminist bench>

VerySmallSqueak Fri 01-Mar-13 19:20:30

And,no,you're not a bad feminist!

VerySmallSqueak Fri 01-Mar-13 19:18:30

Personally?

If I was asking him what colour he wants his room,I'd be prepared to do whatever colour he wants! He could choose any colour then change his mind in 5 mins at that age.

Do a funky pink feature wall.

Trills Fri 01-Mar-13 17:40:53

I think you'd be a bit mental to let a 20 month old choose anything that can't be undone in under an hour.

Pink is irrelevant.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Fri 01-Mar-13 17:35:24

I wouldn't trust ANY 20 month'er to choose the colours of my walls!! Pick something you like instead- problem solved.

GingerPCatt Fri 01-Mar-13 17:30:00

For not painting my son's room pink? He's 20 mo and his favorite crayon is a purple/pink. I've asked him what colour he wants his room and he points at a bright pink. If he was a girl I wouldn't care and that bothers me. I don't worry that he'll catch gay or anything. I don't care who he wants to love when he's older. I just don't want to make the effort and then in a bit he changes his mind. And honestly, I think the family will gives a bit of stick about it. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now