"When a woman says no she means maybe" Come and support those in chat who aren't happy about this sign in a shop

(134 Posts)
MrsMushroom Mon 25-Feb-13 23:05:22

here is the thread

A MNr began the thread when she came across This monstrosity

Someone else googled and found it in this shop.

Please can you lot email the shop? I have sent an email explaining why they need to remove it from their stock. Can you lot too?

Good luck Rodent and well done for taking a stand.

I know Little, that comment was beyond the pale.

Thank you also Jacq, Mary and Slug for taking the time to respond. What I've decided to do is to write formally to the manager of the store and ask her to remove the product from stock. I have also obtained the name of the wholesaler and I will be contacting them too.

I'll let you know how I get on.

How anyone can think this is ok is beyond me. That last comment that woman made to you Rodent, wtf!

slug Mon 22-Apr-13 10:49:54

You could try the Retail Association and complain under the Sexual Harassment provisions in the Human Rights act.

MaryRobinson Mon 22-Apr-13 09:45:09

Yes and we could also inform your local newspaper, whilst directing the shop owner to this site.

JacqueslePeacock Mon 22-Apr-13 08:09:37

Tell us which shop, and we can all write and complain?

I should add, the manager was a 50 year old woman, if that makes any difference.

Hello, I'm bumping this thread as I've just seen this horrid sign in a garden shop here in NZ. I approached the manager to complain, here is an abridged version of our coversation:

Me - I find this sign very offensive.
Manager - Oh those signs? We just buy them from the importer, I don't even read them.
Me - That's not really an excuse. You are stocking these offensive items and they are associated with your image and your brand.
Manager - I think that they are just funny.
Me - I don't find jokes about rape funny. And anyway, I thought you hadn't read the sign?
Manager - I've just read it now. I don't think that it is offensive. People find it funny.
Me - You seriously think that it is acceptable to have jokes about rape on a sign?
Manager - I can't withdraw all products that people complain about. I have people in here all the time complaining because I sell buddhas.
Me - That is not the same thing. Sexual assualt is a crime.
Manager - Are you sure that you are not being oversensitive because of your personal experience?

I was completely speechless at this last remark. I was so angry, I had to leave before saying something I regretted.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I could do next? I could write a letter, but I don't think that it will make any difference.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 05-Mar-13 17:59:03

Hello there

You'll see we have removed Sophie's post, as we don't allow organisations to post as 'themselves' on Mumsnet. We've offered to post up a statement by the company on its behalf.

We've also, at their request, removed the post quoting email responses from Hill Interiors and Baytree Interiors.

Floweryhat Mon 04-Mar-13 21:27:26

Never pass up an opportunity to generate new business eh Sophie?

After all, all publicity is good publicity hmm. Sigh.

Hopefully Shop of Dreams will reply soon.

Sophie we don't want any money or discounts from you, we just wanted you to remove the plaque, which you have done, so thank you. I hope you use better judgement next time when purchasing merchandise for your store, no matter how 'profound' or 'pretty' something may be. hmm

EduCated Mon 04-Mar-13 18:27:14

So how did YOU view the plaque, Sophie?

Darkesteyes Mon 04-Mar-13 17:55:27

Profound PROFOUND! <head desk>

MrsMushroom Mon 04-Mar-13 17:30:20

Sophie keep my 20% to put towards removing all of the surplus stock from your store.

HoneyKate Mon 04-Mar-13 17:14:26

I have emailed Hill Interiors and A Shop of Dreams who both seem to still have this hideous item available for sale or at least it is still appearing on their websites.

BubblegumPie Mon 04-Mar-13 17:11:10

YES! this is still being sold.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 04-Mar-13 17:06:25

Just wanted to say that you lot are excellent! Is there anything I can help with?

slug Mon 04-Mar-13 16:55:26

Seriously? What on earth did you think it was saying then? <<bangs head>>

INeverSaidThat Mon 04-Mar-13 16:38:44

SophieTaylor Thanks for the response. I am glad you are not stocking the sign. I have to say I did find it quite offensive.

FairyJen Mon 04-Mar-13 16:31:07

sophie keep your 20% I wouldn't shop with you if it was free!

MajaBiene Mon 04-Mar-13 16:29:15

What did you think it meant, Sophie?

BubblegumPie Mon 04-Mar-13 16:26:22

Um... no thanks, maybe you should put the money towards something more useful like a rape survivors charity rather than handing out an empty gesture like this.

SophieTaylor1 Mon 04-Mar-13 16:06:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BinarySolo Mon 04-Mar-13 15:10:07

As you are obviously aware, this is a famous saying, not something we have come up with.

Is it? I'd not heard it before. Lame excuse anyway, I could use the same argument to make plaques with hitler quotes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now