"When a woman says no she means maybe" Come and support those in chat who aren't happy about this sign in a shop

(134 Posts)
MrsMushroom Mon 25-Feb-13 23:05:22

here is the thread

A MNr began the thread when she came across This monstrosity

Someone else googled and found it in this shop.

Please can you lot email the shop? I have sent an email explaining why they need to remove it from their stock. Can you lot too?

PromQueenWithin Tue 26-Feb-13 11:01:17

It's also here and here and Daisy Interiors on ebay.

According to this retailer it's made by a company called Homeworks but I can't find a website for them, though they do seem to several small retailer offering it on ebay

Perhaps we should contact them to ask for info about Homeworks?

MrsMushroom Tue 26-Feb-13 11:18:55

No response yet PromQUeenWIthin

MrsMushroom Tue 26-Feb-13 11:27:24

Prom could it be This collective of female designers and artists

They're called Homeworks. They have a wide collection of work by a group of women who appear to trade together under one umbrella...lots of craft fairs etc.

MusicalEndorphins Wed 27-Feb-13 01:34:16

It is off their facebook page now.

sashh Wed 27-Feb-13 03:37:30

They have removed my post from their facebook page. But they also appear to have removed the plaque from their website.

Anyone got any answers?

PromQueenWithin Wed 27-Feb-13 08:31:03

I emailed an ebay trader that sells it, asking about the supplier. His response:

"Hi , I would suspect a little factry in Indomesia. regards Mike"

hmm

Greythorne Wed 27-Feb-13 10:54:26

We've given them
A chance to respond...
Isn't it now time to go public on FB?

(On my signal, unleash hell)

PromQueenWithin Wed 27-Feb-13 10:55:12

3... 2... 1...

LittleBoxes Wed 27-Feb-13 11:01:24

MrsMushroom, I don't think it's made by the Homeworks people you linked to. It looks mass-produced to me. I suspect the ebay person is right.

LittleBoxes Wed 27-Feb-13 11:03:28

It's here too: http://www.alligatorpear.co.uk/wooden-message-plaques-a-lady-says-no.html

LuisGarcia Wed 27-Feb-13 14:19:33

sales@alligatorpear.co.uk

CardinalRichelieu Wed 27-Feb-13 17:02:03

They have taken it down? Victory is ours.

Now to keep a look out for any more of them/any other misogynistic bullshit and kick up a similar fuss.

Yes, this is how I spend my free time (and even some of my working time).

MrsMushroom Wed 27-Feb-13 17:27:05

Yes...let's unearth them all....and if we can find the factory so much the better. We can do them a favour by letting them know how offensive the sign is. And suggest some more suitable homilies to use.

CardinalRichelieu Wed 27-Feb-13 17:32:31

See, probably no point in bothering with the factory as they will just keep making them if they get orders from shops etc. Let's just be strident whenever we see them on sale.

MrsMushroom Wed 27-Feb-13 17:44:17

Yes I was thinking though, they've already lost one client...in Dasiy Interiors...but they must sell them all over the world I suppose.

LuisGarcia Wed 27-Feb-13 17:56:59

They've lost 2 clients. The alligator pear one seems to have been withdrawn too.

LineRunner Wed 27-Feb-13 19:34:28

I think to be fair to the factory we ought to suggest some better slogans that people will buy.

Could the Pope please hand the key to the Vatican Bank to Mary Beard on his way out.

LuisGarcia Thu 28-Feb-13 01:28:18

See, probably no point in bothering with the factory as they will just keep making them if they get orders from shops etc. Let's just be strident whenever we see them on sale.

Ok, well I've found and emailed a couple more today, then found this.

I want to know who the manufacturer is.

PromQueenWithin Thu 28-Feb-13 09:51:24

I've contacted all the sites on this search, including ebay sellers, with a message borrowed from a post on the chat thread by tigerlilygrr:

I am writing to complain about the sign you are currently selling featuring the "if she says no she means maybe" text. I understand you may have had several complaints from Mumsnet. I wanted to add that I too find it offensive, as the clear implication is that women who say no mean yes (similar logic as that used by rapists to defend their actions), and women who say yes are behaving in a promiscuous way. This seems like a very odd message for a homewares store to promote. I'd like to ask you to consider withdrawing this item from sale.

Let's see whether and how they respond.

LuisGarcia Thu 28-Feb-13 09:57:08

Temporal Interiors are withdrawing it from sale and say they have forwarded the complaints to the manufacturer.

PromQueenWithin Thu 28-Feb-13 10:21:25

Well done Temporal Interiors:

Thank you for your email. This product has been removed from our shop and I have contacted our supplier with your concerns.

I have had another email of this sort with concerns which prompted me to remove prior to your email arriving.the emails I received prompted me react quickly to this matter. I trust that you find my removal of the product in question satisfactory.

It should no longer be visible on our website. If you do see it as available please let me know so that I can remove further as sometimes products on websites do get duplicated. I will also remove it from our other marketplace listings.

SirBoobAlot Thu 28-Feb-13 10:23:16

Hurrah! Well done, all.

PromQueenWithin Thu 28-Feb-13 11:28:19

This from Little Timbers:

"I am xxx, the owner of the business and have just read your email that I was very saddened to read.

Being the buyer of all our products, and buy many humerous and sentimental plaques from various suppliers, I had not once interpreted the mentioned plaque in this way. However, after receiving your email of concern, I can now see the implication is has to women.

As a woman myself, I have no intention to discriminate women and had I perceived the sign in the way you had at the beginning, I would not have purchased the item, it was only meant as light humour.

As soon as I read your email, I removed the plaque. I have not however, had any other complaints and if I had, this action would have been done sooner.

I really do apologise if this has offended you, or given you the wrong impression of us. I can assure you I will be more cautious with my buying in the future, our aim is to stock products that touch the heart or make you laugh, definitly not to cause distress or concern. I will also send your complaint to the company we purchased from, and hope they will see the point of view that you are coming from."

Well done Little Timbers.

PromQueenWithin Thu 28-Feb-13 12:34:03

And again, from Little Timbers:

"The company I buy from has also confirmed it will not produce any more of these plaques and will now discontinue.so you have had a result. I am sure that anyone in the artermath of a rape situation would be deeply offended by this plaque."

HighBrows Thu 28-Feb-13 12:36:44

Wow that's a fantastic response from Little Timbers.
Think I'll go and buy something from them now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now