Feminist Meeting!

(24 Posts)
StickEmUp Tue 12-Mar-13 22:04:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kim147 Tue 12-Mar-13 21:57:18

I think you should go and try it for a while. It might enable you to make your mind up on the sex worker issue.

Love Brighton by the way.

StickEmUp Tue 12-Mar-13 21:52:16

kim147 Tue 12-Mar-13 21:34:33

What do you think of the other statements?

StickEmUp Tue 12-Mar-13 21:31:08

FloraFox Tue 12-Mar-13 21:26:32

I had a look at the website Stick and I'm going to assume they are not against prostitution. It's not explicit but the combination of "sex positive" and "pro sex workers rights" suggests this to me.

I read the review of Naomi Wolff's book and the statement "Unlike many of her younger contemporaries, Wolf has not learnt an important lesson from the history of the movement" is enough to put me off. I can't stand Naomi Wolff and it's ironic that Wolff made her career from criticising older feminists is now facing the same thing from younger feminists but I don't like it. In 10 years another group will come along and say the same thing about this group.

StickEmUp Tue 12-Mar-13 21:17:11

kim147 Tue 12-Mar-13 21:13:47

Interesting group - I understand most of what it says (been on here for a long time)

So what are your views on prostitution?

Should it be banned - so if a prostitute was caught, she'd get a criminal record?

Should the men using prostitutes be arrested if caught?

Should there be services for prostitutes to maintain sexual health etc even if men using prostitutes using it are arrested?

I guess the group supports the rights of sex workers - but I don't know what rights they mean. Do you think you could find out more about what that means?

StickEmUp Tue 12-Mar-13 20:55:46

kim147 Tue 12-Mar-13 20:51:15

It does seem strange you have to agree with all their principles rather than just be a feminist and agree with most of their issues but not that one.

You've probably got a lot in common. But I do know how hard it is when people are discussing and agreeing on an issue that you are at odds with. Do you speak up or say nothing?

But at least you went.

FloraFox Tue 12-Mar-13 20:45:54

Stick kudos to you for going! I'm afraid I can't help much with parsing out their position on prostitution. I bailed out of RL politics quite a long time ago because I was sick of the People's Front of Judea / Judean People's Front aspects (I know that ages me). I'd love to get involved in something now but I think it will need to be single issues to avoid this sort of thing. That's a shame really because often an overall perspective is very helpful. One of the things I like about this board is hearing a range of different feminist perspectives.

Please keep us posted if you decide to go back.

ohnoanotherMRA Tue 12-Mar-13 20:17:15

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ohnoanotherMRA Tue 12-Mar-13 20:14:48

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

StickEmUp Tue 12-Mar-13 19:53:44

HighBrows Wed 06-Mar-13 22:24:07

Could the pro sex worker mean they are in favour of changing the legislation and make it a criminal offence for someone to buy sex but not to sell it.

Both Sweden and Ireland have this model.

Personal I'd love to see any kind of sex work left in the history books.

Will you let us know how you get on. (I'd love to go to a feminist meet up).

StickEmUp Wed 06-Mar-13 21:01:42

FloraFox Wed 06-Mar-13 20:59:09

It ususally means they are in favour of legalising prostitution. Hope it goes well!

StickEmUp Wed 06-Mar-13 20:41:30

StickEmUp Wed 06-Mar-13 20:40:52

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Thu 21-Feb-13 01:21:06

Have a great time!

StickEmUp Wed 20-Feb-13 18:47:25

StickEmUp Wed 20-Feb-13 18:36:23

Lessthanaballpark Wed 20-Feb-13 18:33:08

Go for it! Report back to us!

StickEmUp Wed 20-Feb-13 18:27:45

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now