Hair Length

(42 Posts)
StickEmUp Sun 17-Feb-13 16:35:22

I have short hair and have done for years.
When i met dh, i had just shaved it. Number 6 so about a cm long.
Since then ive had a variety of lengths, i did have a short bob for my wedding and then cut it short a week later.

Reason for posting - recently on a work lunch with about 20 people from another company, hair length be came a topic of conversation.

One of the guys said he hated short hair. Another said, yeh but what if you were going out with penelope cruz and she got a hair cut!

Well, the answer was 'dumped'.

Now, im very comfortable with my hair choice and also comfortable knowing most women i know have hair longer than the shoulders.

What does bother me is the fact this man decided a lovely women wouldnt be worth anything of she cut her hair short.

This is peppered with my own feelings i know ... I have horrible hair when long and cant see a good reason to grow it.

I cant reconcile between my belief that women should be able to have there hair how they like, and the fact this man thought short hair was repellant.

I wonder why?
Does anyone know what im saying, im a bit confused myself so might not be concise, or i might be missing something fundamental maybe a lovely long haired lady can tell me.

weegiemum Sun 17-Feb-13 18:02:03

My mum went blonde when she went grey and tbh it looks awful! So I think id rather be grey. I'm sure I can carry it off. Blonde washed her skin tone out but I think the salt-and-pepper look will be good.
I'm only 42 but already 1/4 grey. It's ok as I don't dye, so it's all natural, no roots.

runningforthebusinheels Sun 17-Feb-13 18:04:07

Really rude to discuss not liking short hair in the presence of a woman with short hair imho.

I wouldn't sit in a any group where there was, say for example, a man with a beard, and say I can't stand beards, if I was dating Brad Pitt and he grew a beard - he'd be out. Because that would make me a twat.

But yy about him seeing women as objects and therefore all their worth is tied up in their looks.

AbigailAdams Sun 17-Feb-13 18:16:57

I don't think you are overthinking this OP. This is all to do with objectification of women and the importance the patriarchy puts on appearance. Pretty important stuff.

Who and what we fancy is always going to be influenced by trends, social norms, patriarchal norms.

But to say you would dump someone for having short hair is a pretty narrow field of vision and I would be wondering what other constraints he would like his girlfriends to conform to.

StickEmUp Sun 17-Feb-13 18:22:52

I guess the way he said it was more like any lucky gf of his (im sure he thinks) should be what he wanted.
As for discussing it in front of me, i am more that comfortable with my short hair so it wasnt an issue.
I just remember thinking ... So what next. She wears skirts, then fancies putting on some combats for a change. If he met her that way, could she not wear the combats becasue he didnt like them.

Because i am in the minority of being a female with short hair, i think it puts me in the place of, well, more women have long hair so its a weird place to argue from.
Like. Could be percieved as arguing with women who have long hair over an issue i had with a man.

sashh Mon 18-Feb-13 05:03:12

This is peppered with my own feelings i know ... I have horrible hair when long and cant see a good reason to grow it.

I grow mine and then have it cut to send the hair to the little princess trust.

Before and after pics on profile.

WoTmania Mon 18-Feb-13 14:06:15

Well, he sounds like a nice person....hmm not at all controlling over women's appearances.
People's reactions to appearances is interesting. Like you OP I tend(ed, I have dreads now) to go long, short, long, skin-head, long, cropped etc and people reacted in all sorts of different ways. DH prefers long hair but was never bothered bothered the times I came home with a skin-head having left with bra-strap length hair. Likewise, I love his very long hair but he were to cut it..well, there's more to our relationships than his looks. Where as one exBF used to say that if I cut my hair he would dumo me (oddly he didn't last long grin).
My dad has a real problem with both my dreads and my facial piercings - I think he feels it reflects on him somehow that his DD looks so unconventional.

Really I suspect, as other posters have said, that it comes down to viewing women as objects/commodities. This kind of man wants a GF to look a certain way so that he in turn looks (and maybe feels) like a certain type of man if that makes sense.

ForkInTheForeheid Tue 19-Feb-13 18:50:35

I think there is a view (in some) that long hair=femininity and beauty. Hence the stereotype of the the short-haired butch lesbian (apologies for the phrase). I've got pretty long hair and have done most of my life, but have had it ear length a couple of times. I actually day-dream about shaving my head a la britney spears but am too afraid of the reaction I would get! I like my hair long but I love the idea of literally having to do nothing to look after my hair.

kickassangel Wed 20-Feb-13 00:40:41

Tbh it could vary from light banter about his preference to someone who really believes that women have to look a certain way and if they don't then they don't really count as human.

But certainly he seems rather set in his views. What if he has a daughter who prefers short hair? Would she be dumped?

I had a no2 crop when DS was a baby; it was so practical in the weaning stages grin as I could just wipe the mashed bananas off with a damp flannel. I now have long hair, because it's less bother - I just tie it back in a ponytail and occasionally whack the ends off with the kitchen scissors when they get really ratty looking.

I think this bloke is probably a dick; if it had just been a general jokey conversation about preferences you wouldn't have felt so irritated by it. People do have their preferences and fetishes, and it's fine to find certain features in a person sexually unappealing, buyt it's a bit rude and juvenile to go on and on about it.

TheSmallClanger Thu 21-Feb-13 13:28:51

There's a certain kind of man who insists on bringing this up loudly when there are women about with short hair. It can feel like they're almost daring you to argue back at them. It's not nice to have to accept being publicly told you are unattractive as "banter".

I've had short hair most of my life. This has happened frequently.

WhentheRed Thu 21-Feb-13 18:19:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mathanxiety Fri 22-Feb-13 00:12:11

I always laugh when men start dismissing women on the basis of their hair.

Considering how bald many of them end up they have some neck.

WhentheRed Fri 22-Feb-13 00:17:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

june2013 Fri 22-Feb-13 13:31:55

I totally understand this - I cut my hair very short (from very long) after a long term unhealthy relationship ended. I started dating another guy about 6 months after that and was still furiously cutting my hair shorter at any given opportunity. This new guy kept badgering me about growing it out.

I don't have any issues with how people choose to wear there hair (I've had it every length) - but generally in our society long hair is associated with greater femininity and therefore stereotypically more desirable to men (yes in practice it's not always actually the case, but it's images that matter). I think that is starting to change, cf Hermione what's her name and Anne Les Mis Lady, looking stunning. But what a scandal when that teen superstar cut her hair very short and died it platinum blonde (crp what's her name? Pixie something? AAAh no Miley Cyrus!) and look at the constant sniping at South African actress... cripes what's her name?? Charlize Theron....

Tanyaaah Fri 22-Feb-13 13:58:15

I have been thinking about this recently as I've just had my hair cut short. I love it and I think it is because it allows me to not care about looking pretty and girlish any more. It is liberating.

kickassangel Fri 22-Feb-13 14:09:12

As someone said earlier, it is a fairly recent thing, and I think that a lot of those 'real Housewives' type programs are part of the reason. Not that long ago, people made comments about once you were thirty you couldn't 'get away with' long hair, and certainly in the 80s it was all short hair like Princess Di. Now longer hair is fashionable, and how very dare a woman not be trying to look twenty and trendy to get her man?

specialsubject Fri 22-Feb-13 20:04:43

you are over reacting to a fantasy conversation. The man does not find short hair attractive. It's allowed. He's never going to meet Penelope Cruz. He might even have had his tongue slightly in his cheek.

so he doesn't find you attractive. Most of the world won't. Some will. As long as your partner does, so what?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now