The Sun's coverage of yesterday's death in SA

(9 Posts)
Darkesteyes Sat 16-Feb-13 16:13:55

Absolutely agree SGM.

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 16-Feb-13 11:36:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

namechangeguy Sat 16-Feb-13 10:55:40

Is anybody here aware that the Sun has been largely boycotted by an entire city in the UK since 1989, when it printed horrendous lies about a large group of people from that city? Lies that it only admitted to in the last 12 months, due to unceasing campaigning for the truth from families of people who were killed.

It is an appalling newspaper which will stop to any depth to sell papers. It lies, it intimidates and it influences at the very highest levels of society. Until people stop buying it, it will continue to do so. People do not buy it where I live.

Cornflowerdreams Sat 16-Feb-13 09:12:16

Just started an opening post on this topic as I was utterly disgusted by the way the Sun treated this story.

There's no ethics, no moral values when it comes to sales for this kind of newspapers. They just reinforce a wide sector of the culture we live in. Totally disrespectful in their treatment of women, even when a woman dies in violent circumstances.

Sexualising death might sell, but it's wrong, so wrong, that this newspaper should be take to court for it.

They're just an awful mafia with so much power no even politicians can/want to do anything about it.

SomethingOnce Sat 16-Feb-13 01:16:39

I really wanted to read a long thread on FWR about this, examining in minute detail all the ways in which that cover was so fucking wrong, because some of the comments on the AIBU thread showed how much people just don't get it.

The Sun. The paper that hinted it might be wavering of the subject of Page 3 a matter of days ago.

Bastards.

Darkesteyes Fri 15-Feb-13 23:56:46

Line Runner i felt (feel) exactly the same.
And i think a lot of people do. While shopping in my local Sainburys this evening i noticed a massive pile of copies of the Sun. Yet the Guardian had nearly sold out. Fucking bastards at the Sun.

LineRunner Fri 15-Feb-13 23:12:53

I saw this on display in Asda and wanted to fucking rip it up.

Sunnywithshowers Fri 15-Feb-13 13:54:47

I've just noticed that AKissIsNotAContract has started a thread about this in AIBU too.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1684747-To-think-the-Sun-has-reached-an-all-time-low-with-its-front-page-today

Sunnywithshowers Fri 15-Feb-13 13:51:02

Interesting (and necessary) article about the coverage of the death of Reeva Steenkamp.

www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/feb/15/reeva-steenkamp-body-on-front-page

Sex sells - even when the obliging lovely woman concerned is dead. Gah.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now