Moral maze tonight Radio 4 - discussing rape trials

(9 Posts)
SomethingOnce Sat 16-Feb-13 00:58:24

I thought it was disappointing that Claire Fox seemed to be undermining the 'victims will be believed' message.

Giving victims the message that they will believed is not the same as saying that one believes all allegations will be true.

(Victim was the word used on the programme - I am aware that this is considered problematic by some.)

FrauMoose Thu 14-Feb-13 10:35:49

I thought it was a frustrating programme. The guy from NAPAC was sincere but not terribly articulate. Giles Fraser seemed to have some understanding of the human vulnerability of those who have survived abuse. But the most interesting stuff - like a fleeting suggestion that police, lawyers etc - could be adding to the kind of manipulation that survivors originallyexperienced at the hands of abusers wasn't explored. It would have been good if they had brought on a 'witness' who could have said something about how trauma is experienced and remembered.

AutumnMadness Thu 14-Feb-13 09:38:54

I did not catch the name of the woman lawyer who was speaking in a very calm and rational voice, but I was swearing at the radio when it was her turn. All she was saying was reasonable and rational and right. In theory. But she completely denied the reality of courtroom and how dehumanising and degrading the cross-examination methods both on the sides of prosecution and defense can be. There are ways of questioning the veracity of somebody's claims without screaming into their faces that they are dirt.

FloatyBeatie Wed 13-Feb-13 14:26:57

Moral Maze seems to ape the adversarial system in the courts that appears to have been a large source of the trauma for this poor woman.

I never listen to it. And I haven't been able to read any online discussion of this terrible case because it is just too awful, too devastating, for casual or point-scoring words. So it seems like not the right subject to be addressed by such a smug programme. I hope they move quickly into the enormous general issues that the case has thrown up, and don't focus too much on its own particular terrible sadness directly.

Fillyjonk75 Wed 13-Feb-13 14:15:19

Melanie Phillips: Girls in short skirts are asking for it etc.

FastidiaBlueberry Wed 13-Feb-13 14:12:11

But tbh that's normal for the moral maze

FastidiaBlueberry Wed 13-Feb-13 14:11:39

I've got a feeling I'm going to find it enraging...

namechangeguy Wed 13-Feb-13 09:27:23

I heard the preview earlier, kim. I think it's a bit more wide-ranging than just rape trials. It's a look at our adversarial justice system, and whether it is the best way of approaching criminal trials. They did say it was in the light of this recent tragic case though. Should be very interesting.

kim147 Wed 13-Feb-13 07:30:14

In light of the recent Francis Andrade case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now