"Women leading men astray"

(13 Posts)
Pan Fri 08-Feb-13 21:56:03

Well, that was a 'tour', Hester. A sort of distilled essence, just poured out.

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 08-Feb-13 21:46:22

Arf

HesterBurnitall Fri 08-Feb-13 21:39:40

Sorry, BOF, it's Saturday already and a sober morning of sporting fixtures and homework here. Tsk.

BOF Fri 08-Feb-13 21:31:45

Don't say "Hey girl"...

Sorry, I know this is FWR, but it's Friday, right?

HesterBurnitall Fri 08-Feb-13 21:29:13

Funny you should say that, FB, I was just coming in here to post a link to a man saying just that and ask what posters think on it.

youtu.be/ivvU6_aaIrY

Yes, it's TED, and yes he hasn't read MN so doesn't know about "that fucker Gandhi". Still.

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 08-Feb-13 21:26:38

I have become slightly disillusioned with the fact that men en masse, make no effort to contradict the idea that they are not actually infantile creatures with no will of their own.

When do they stand up and object to being characterised as semi-idiots who can be led astray because they're not full adults?

Where is the men's movement that stands up and says "Don't insult us, we're not children, we're fully grown adults who are perfectly capable of taking full responsibility for our own actions and hey girl, that's what we're going to do and we're going to dissociate ourselves from any man who doesn't?"

Darkesteyes Fri 08-Feb-13 21:15:58

I have a thing for Samuel West. I think hes lovely. blush

BOF Fri 08-Feb-13 20:50:10

I couldn't shag Jeremy Piven as Mr Selfridge. He'd be giving it jazz hands after orgasm.

Darkesteyes Fri 08-Feb-13 20:47:38

Exactly Wilson. There is a storyline involving suffragettes this week.

WilsonFrickett Fri 08-Feb-13 18:32:09

I'm really behind on that series but it very much irks me that there is so obviously a 'bad girl' and a 'good wife' to balance out what are some actually very strong feminist characters in the shop assistants.

::realises it's only TV::

Darkesteyes Fri 08-Feb-13 17:48:43

Im really enjoying Mr Selfridge. At the end of todays interview with Titchmarsh he said to the actress "Well he has a nice wife at home" The implication being that its all the fault of the woman who is having an affair with a married man.
On another note they get called mistresses and homewreckers but ive never heard a man who is having an affair with a married woman get called these names. My ex OM was certainly never referred to as such.

alexpolismum Fri 08-Feb-13 17:42:12

the implication is that men are all children, with no real control over their own actions, easily lead and manipulated.

Darkesteyes Fri 08-Feb-13 16:22:23

Heard this phrase on two different programmes this week.
Zoe Tapper who plays Ellen Love in Mr Selfridge has been interviewed on two shows and they have talked about her character Ellen "leading Mr Selfridge astray" even though (and i know its a tv show) a. hes cheated on his wife before. b. it implies that he isnt responsible for his own behaviour.
This is just one example.
Ive heard this phrase used to describe situations in RL too. It grates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now