100 Books By Black Women Everyone Must Read

(31 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Fri 08-Feb-13 13:43:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

One down, 99 to go grin

AbigailAdams Fri 08-Feb-13 13:51:19

Same here SPB. Woeful. Shows just how hard it is for black women to get mainstream recognition. However, I will be doing my bit and ordering a few now grin.

millie30 Fri 08-Feb-13 13:53:44

I have only read Beloved from that list but actually started reading Small Island a couple of days ago after coming across it in a charity shop. Thank you for this, I will look into some of the others now.

WowOoo Fri 08-Feb-13 13:54:24

I've read some of them. Glad to see Maya Angelou is up there.
I have to be honest and admit that I've started a few and given up.

And now have a list of some more to try..yey, thanks.

Maya angeliu by any chance? Have to admit I didn't read the full list, just skimmed, so possibly missed another

AmandaPayne Fri 08-Feb-13 14:02:53

Four. That's woeful. And Beloved was at school The others were Small Island and the two Zadie Smiths.

I shall start searching my library once I've worked my way through the rather over-enthusiastically reserved mountain of women authors I currently have staring at me from the coffee table. Have to average two a week of those for a fair while!

EldritchCleavage Fri 08-Feb-13 14:26:38

Well, it's an American list (which is fine, as long as people don't take it to be typical of global black women's writing.

Buchi Emecheta is a gem, I recommend her. But a lot of books on this list really don't speak to me at all. The Colour Purple/Caged Bird kind of book is one I just can't get on with.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 08-Feb-13 16:00:58

AbigailAdams Fri 08-Feb-13 16:19:21

No SPB, Andrea Levy - A small Island. I've just bought the Maya Angelou one!

TheLightPassenger Fri 08-Feb-13 17:02:53

A mere 7. thanks for the link, some interesting stuff I have never heard of but might read now!

Cybermob Fri 08-Feb-13 18:19:16

I've read ten. Bookmarked the list for later reference.

WowOoo Fri 08-Feb-13 18:43:50

StewieG - ToniM was one I couldn;t finish.

If you search YouTube there must be a vid of Maya Angelou. When she reads her own stuff it's truly amazing. You read it with a different perspective somehow. I love her, I do.

jalapeno Fri 08-Feb-13 18:54:15

3 here. Small Island I only read a month or so ago, I absolutely loved it!

Only 4 here. But saw a couple that look good that I will try when I have some cash

PretzelTime Fri 08-Feb-13 21:11:47

Thanks for the link! So many books I've never heard of.

Ooh, these look brilliant! I'm a tenth of the way there - largely thanks to my lovely A Level teacher who got me into both Alice Walker and Toni Morrison early on. I love Zadie Smith, too, and heard her speak once, which was fascinating. I think 'On Beauty' is a more interesting book than her others (not that I don't love White Teeth but IMO it is lighter and funnier).

I'm getting out my Amazon wishlist ...

Oh - and btw, I've got a collected works copy of Audre Lord which isn't either of the books by her mentioned on there, but is fascinating and I'm slowly working through it, and thank you very much, kritique, if you see this, for recommending it!

BestIsWest Fri 08-Feb-13 22:48:36

Read 8 or 9, the obvious ones. Zadie Smith (agree LRD, with what you say about On Beauty), Andrea Levy, Maya Angelou, Alice Walker, Toni Morrison etc.

I will have to point DD at this list.

Harriet Jacobs - Incidents in the Life of a Slave girl is worth a read too - it's free on Kindle.

louisianablue2000 Fri 08-Feb-13 23:11:36

I've only read four, haven't heard of most of them but checked how I did on a typical '100 greatest books ever' list from the US and had only read 25 of them. On these kind of list from the UK I've always read >75% of them so it's fairly culturally specific. Obviously the fact that I've read so few even in comparison to the usual US lists is shameful, considering I do read mainly fiction written by women (not consciously, it just happens).

SanityClause Fri 08-Feb-13 23:21:07

I've only read two, but have also read The Long Song and Fruit of the Lemon by Andrea Levy.

I've also read The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith, which apparently was not her best work!

What about The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi? That should be on there!

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 11-Feb-13 20:26:00

boatclub Mon 11-Feb-13 21:33:47

I've read 8 on the list but would also recommend Aminata Forna The Devil that danced on the Water, Zenzele by Nozipo Maraire and Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga

Limelight Mon 11-Feb-13 21:42:07

I've read 7 or 8 if them and they're all the ones you'd expect. Must do better!

There's a notable exception here as well I think (unless I missed it on the list). Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga. One of my favourite novels.

boatclub Mon 11-Feb-13 22:10:54

Limelight so glad someone else has recommended Nervous Conditions - think I need to reread it. A fantastic coming of age story

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now