DV figures are out today

(49 Posts)
Sausageeggbacon Thu 07-Feb-13 16:42:47

BBBC News here 2 million victims too many

Absolutely appalling, but sadly it doesn't surprise me sad

SisterRay Thu 07-Feb-13 22:18:37

It does seem to be mainly a class issue, which isn't all that surprising really. There are a lot of angry men and women out there, that's for sure.

It makes sense that poorer women are more likely to have to stay in bad relationships..however I can't help but wonder if women with money and of a certain status would be less likely to report their husbands for DV, in order to keep up appearances..and also because a well off, "pillar of society" type might be able to scare his wife in to thinking she won't be believed.

LineRunner Thu 07-Feb-13 23:44:53

The report broke the data down by gender, until it got to the 'repeat' category, when it stopped breaking the data down by gender.

Why?

MechanicalTheatre Thu 07-Feb-13 23:45:58

SisterRay why is it "not surprising"? Do you think the working classes just beat the shit out of each other all day long?

I agree with Trucker that a lot of richer women might feel they have to stay: they have a nice life (except the DV) and feel they couldn't support children on their own/wouldn't be believed/would have the children taken off them because the husband has more money.

Or it could be that they have their own money, so can just leave, without involving the police at all.

SisterRay Fri 08-Feb-13 08:14:48

No I don't think that, but I have lived in a poor area with a very high number of jobless people and then a reasonably well off area where almost everyone works, I can tell you that their values were very different.

CoalDustWoman Fri 08-Feb-13 08:16:54

Linerunner, that's a puzzle, isn't it? I wonder why...

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 08-Feb-13 10:13:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kim147 Fri 08-Feb-13 10:26:31

There was a health report out last year about my city.
Reported DV is much higher in the area of town that could be described as deprived - it comes lowest in markers such as alcohol abuse, unemployment, drug use, low educational outcomes and general crime.
And not just DV but also emotional and physical abuse and neglect of children seemed to be linked to these deprived areas.

Reported DV incidents shot up during big football tournaments - and there was a marked increase in the area I live inn.

Isn't DV generally linked to many of these issues which are related to deprivation? Although DV can obviously occur in all types of households for many of the reasons outlined above?

SisterRay Fri 08-Feb-13 10:37:42

I'm sorry you think that Stewie, but that was my personal experience. I was quite often personally intimidated, and I saw a lot of violence from both men and women. I just did, why would I lie about it, or dress it up as something else?

The study also backs up what I say. I certainly didn't say it was the case for ALL who are poorer, but it was significantly higher than when I lived in a well off area.

<shrugs>

Sausageeggbacon Fri 08-Feb-13 10:49:23

Resentment, low income, self loathing, lack of ambition or drive. These are all things that we don't want to see in ourselves or our partners. It make sense that the biggest issues with DV are in those areas where deprivation is commonplace. My XH was controlling over money and that was the biggest issue within the relationship, I can certainly see how it would drive partners at each other throats.

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 08-Feb-13 16:22:45

I just love the way they try to de-genderise it by pretending that men are just as affected.

And yes, it is because they've managed to only report on cases where there was 1 act of violence.

Let's see the figures for 2+ acts of violence shall we?

Then we'll see the gender split.

Wonder why the BBC isn't interested in reporting that?

MechanicalTheatre Fri 08-Feb-13 17:09:00

SisterRay you never know what goes on behind closed doors though, do you? I've lived amongst the middle classes, they're very good at hiding things.

SisterRay Fri 08-Feb-13 17:11:17

I think violence is deplorable no matter who it's done to and how many times. Why do people always say 'yes, well such and such has it worse'. What does that achieve?

SisterRay Fri 08-Feb-13 17:12:43

I don't doubt it Mechanical. I'm just commenting on the report and it's findings though, we can all speculate can't we?

MechanicalTheatre Fri 08-Feb-13 17:18:49

Yes, of course we can all speculate.

Some of us just get a bit pissed off with the constant presence of this middle class hegemony, almost always back up with "well, I lived in a working class area once and let me tell you, those people are AWFUL".

SisterRay Fri 08-Feb-13 17:28:07

I did live in an area with predominantly jobless people (I was one of them) for about a decade, in the Midlands. Those were my experiences. I'm sorry if you feel that's a cliche. I didn't say that those people were AWFUL, I said that some were violent towards each other, which they were.

Did you live in a similar area with different experiences then?

I wouldn't consider myself middle class btw.

kim147 Fri 08-Feb-13 17:36:23

Between 1 in 10 and 1 in 5 calls to police are DV related. I hope the Police and Crime commisioners begin to take this seriously and the underlying causes are addressed.

I hate to think how this recession and all the crap it's brought people has affected DV figures.

MechanicalTheatre Fri 08-Feb-13 17:54:45

I think it is very easy to say "I lived in this area and thus working/middle/upper class people are like this" but that it has absolutely no grounding in what actually goes on.

kim147 Fri 08-Feb-13 18:01:05

mechanical Do you think DV is more prevalent amongst people who suffer the most difficulties in life in terms of socio-economic indicators?

I work closely with children from some very deprived backgrounds (inner city Leeds) and the things that go on in their lives and the things they see on a daily basis and become their normality shock me. But to them, it's their normality.

I also live in the most deprived area of York - it's nothing compared to some cities but it is very different to middle class areas of the city.

MechanicalTheatre Fri 08-Feb-13 18:08:45

kim147, I truly don't know.

SisterRay Fri 08-Feb-13 18:34:34

How do you know what actually goes on though Mechanical? You said to me, who has had experience of living in a deprived area, that doing so has absolutely no grounding in what actually goes on, how can you make that assumption unless you know the truth about what goes on.

So how do you know this, when in response to kim's question you say that you truly don't know whether DV is more prevalent amongst people who suffer the most difficulties in life in terms of socio-economic indicators.

MechanicalTheatre Fri 08-Feb-13 19:03:28

I don't get your question.

What I'm saying is no-one knows what the true figures are, they only know what is reported to the police.

SisterRay Fri 08-Feb-13 19:35:39

Yes. So on the basis of what is reported to the police, the majority of victims are from deprived areas, which backs up my experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now