Am I having a soh fail Here..?

(40 Posts)
feministefatale Mon 04-Feb-13 03:02:53

It's a tradition for companies to air their best commercials during the super bowl. Audi had this to offer. Not sure if it's appropriate when we have a huge problem with sexual harassment in schools to let boys think this is okay. I think it's assault

www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/03/audi-super-bowl-commercial-2013-prom_n_2612420.html

TheFallenNinja Tue 05-Feb-13 07:23:22

I'm a bloke, I'm not offended by the ad per se, I just think its rubbish. How many times do they need to keep rolling out the nerd takes the girl from the jock storyline.

It's like Groundhog Day.

TheCatInTheHairnet Tue 05-Feb-13 15:01:31

Ok, I'm clearly not getting my point about it being the superbowl over correctly. I don't mean it as it's the holy grail. I meant that advertisers spend millions of $$ creating adverts that are meant to make you laugh/annoy you/make you talk about it. That's part and parcel of the whole occasion, which is why I said about the context of the commercial. For the advertisers, all talk is good talk. That's what I meant by not talking about it. The worst thing for the companies involved is people ignoring them.

Fwiw, I get my feminist knickers more in a twist that there is a national institution that involves grown men basically kicking the shit out of each other while they throw a funny shaped ball around, and only allow women and girls to join in if they wear short skirts and wave pom poms.

feministefatale Tue 05-Feb-13 15:17:11

I see your point, I understand how Superbowl works, I just disagree that we shouldn't comment when things upset us. Yes, most of the adverts are to get us talking but I think most of the companies want it to be in a positive light. Godaddy very obviously excluded, they are vile, I know about their model making out with nerd advert but I am not sure if they went for their traditional method of making an advert so inappropriate they make you go online to see it?

I think Audi need to realise that people don't find this sort of thing funny and that boys especially need to learn that women and girls should consent before sexual contact. That does included kissing, if my daughter said a boy held her and kissed her with no prompting or with out any reason to believe she wanted to be kissed... I'd have to restrain myself form ripping his balls off

What happened to the poor girl in Steubenville, didn't come from nowhere.

As for football and scantily clad dressed women who aren't paid for their service I obviously agree with you. Still feel consent is a more important issue though

TeiTetua Tue 05-Feb-13 17:22:52

I think the watchword should be, "This is all being done for money." Yes, the ads are designed to be memorable--and here we are remembering them. If they offend a section of the audience, or people who hear about them afterwards, that may not be a drawback, if the same features increase the "memorable" effect on the likely customers.

Given that this is a major sports event, the average viewer is probably assumed to be male. The people who make the ads must believe that they're making a successful appeal to that audience, and they're paid huge amounts to get it right. Will the Audi ads attract or drive away customers, that's what they care about.

kickassangel Tue 05-Feb-13 19:22:34

The fact that it's the Superbowl makes it worse. It has vv high viewing figures, and this advert is normalising the idea that girls want men to 'take them'.

There are so many things in this advert that are perpetuating sexism and making it appear OK for these things to exist. Because it is on TV, and shot in hi-def, it makes it appear glamorous/sexy etc and therefore desirable. If it didn't, they wouldn't be using it in the advert.

Just from one viewing, I saw
- mom's perspective being ignored, what do women know?
- fast/loud cars give you power & confidence, even to the extent of taking what isn't yours (principle's parking space, another man's girl)
- women/girls like fiaries, pink, dancing, shoes & being grabbed roughly to be 'given one'
- that if you stick it to her good, she'll become not only compliant but also willing
- gaining possession of forbidden fruits (car, parking, women) is fun, exciting, empowering
- girls, like cars, are owned by men and are there for the taking

And for anyone who says that we're overthinking it: THE ADVERTISING INDUSTRY WILL HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THIS IN GREAT DETAIL, DISCUSSED ALL OF THIS, KNOWN IT WOULD UPSET SOME, BUT DECIDED THAT IT WOULD GENERATE ENOUGH REVENUE THAT THEY DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT UPSETTING PEOPLE.

Threads about the media where people say 'it's only TV' drive me crazy - I can't believe how naive people are and that they seem blind to understanding how much goes into pre-production. These messages are not sent by accident. It is DELIBERATE, KNOWING AND PLANNED. A group of people WANT us to see these things and have these beliefs.

Never underestimate what the media is attempting to do.

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 05-Feb-13 20:20:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

feministefatale Tue 05-Feb-13 20:52:42

THE ADVERTISING INDUSTRY WILL HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THIS IN GREAT DETAIL, DISCUSSED ALL OF THIS, KNOWN IT WOULD UPSET SOME, BUT DECIDED THAT IT WOULD GENERATE ENOUGH REVENUE THAT THEY DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT UPSETTING PEOPLE.

Brilliant fucking point Kick ass. It has been over thought to death by them and they thought it would sell cars and a "life style" too. So they were willing to pay the most expensive advertising prices all year for the privilege of showing a sexual assault.

SGM, I am interested in your blog, if it is public? Ignore if you don't want to link, thanks

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 05-Feb-13 22:29:54

kickassangel Wed 06-Feb-13 00:36:06

I've added my post to my blog - feel free to use it.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 06-Feb-13 07:23:54

sashh Wed 06-Feb-13 08:51:43

But that's the thing, my teenage son (and all of his friends)

So a small group of males. A lot more don't see the difference. A lot think they have a right to kiss, slap, rape a woman.

AutumnMadness Wed 06-Feb-13 12:32:52

Vile advert. Definitely teaches young men that the way to get a woman is to just grab her and force her to submit. And the fact that women are up for grabs. And this on top of the posh car = social success bollocks angry

Startail Wed 06-Feb-13 12:47:01

That's horrible and wrong.
Walking up to a girl and forcibly kissing her without her consent is assault.

I assume her BF is meant to have given the driver the black eye.

So not only do we have sexual assault, we have feeble woman needing her knight in shining armour to rescue her.

I often get slated on this board for wanting a moderation in feminist responses to things, but this is simply wrong on so many levels.

Please could those who write far more eloquently than me, on these matters, complain.

feministefatale Wed 06-Feb-13 14:09:23

Great blog SGM

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 06-Feb-13 18:43:01

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now