Boy coloured nursing cover.

(32 Posts)
feministefatale Fri 01-Feb-13 02:21:41

Anyone looking to get rid of a boy-coloured nursing cover? I have a purple one, but I think he'd appreciate something more neutral. ;)

Saw this for sale locally. What the fuck, surely even if you worry about this this sort of thing you can see that a nursing cover is an accessory for you? you wear it And that a baby doesn't care about what color you are wearing anyway?

rosabud Fri 01-Feb-13 20:31:41

I've never heard of a nursing cover before! It sounds awful! One of reasons why our breasts are about 20cm from our faces is because that s how far new born babies can see - so I don't thnk, evolutionarily, so to speak, babies are meant to be focussing on what colour the blanket over their head is somehow.

MortifiedAdams Fri 01-Feb-13 19:51:52

Id have took a pen and wrote "if the purple one is used, he might catch The Gay" underneath.

Stuff like this really grips my shit.

crazycanuck Fri 01-Feb-13 19:50:04

This reminds me of when I sold ds's last 2 bikes (he's 7 so they weren't big bikes). I listed them on a local online site with photos and described them as 'child's bike'. Both were red. Every single reply I received referred to them as 'the boys bike you advertised'. Good grief it made me stabby! angry

LineRunner Fri 01-Feb-13 19:43:31

I don't even understand 'nursing cover.' Is it some sort of cape?

Kveta Fri 01-Feb-13 17:19:55

grin tethers - a CDC (crudely drawn cock) would definitely macho it up!

piprabbit Fri 01-Feb-13 17:11:28

My boy is mostly pink-coloured, with crusty brown bits round his fingers (chocolate biscuit) and crusty green bits round his nose (recovering from a cold). I guess you could use that as the basis for some sort of camouflage cover confused

feministefatale Fri 01-Feb-13 17:07:54

I see it as the mother trying to give herself some privacy, if you never used a cover you may not have needed privacy so see a cover as giving the baby in quiet?

I saw the pram as my accessory, I am pushing the bloody thing (dh's too but he works so more mine) and I really wanted a hot pink bugaboo (so sue me)... IN the end I got a sand coloured one because it was on Ebay.. but I never saw it as needing to "match" the dc. Same with car seats, they match our car... not the kids.

SaraBellumHertz Fri 01-Feb-13 16:54:09

<<realise that is missing the point somewhat >>>

SaraBellumHertz Fri 01-Feb-13 16:53:38

It's interesting though the point that it is the mothers accessory and not the baby's. I wear a lot of black and grey and navy but somehow that just feels wrong for a nursing cover (not that I ever used one).

WilsonFrickett Fri 01-Feb-13 16:47:43

YY tethers what in my school was called an (ahem) 'cock an' baws set'.

WilsonFrickett Fri 01-Feb-13 16:47:00

But what colour is boy coloured? Doesn't it depend on the colour of your boy?

SolomanDaisy Fri 01-Feb-13 16:23:42

I didn't realise purple was a girl's colour until I dressed DS in it. Mind you, people still mistake him for a girl even when he is wearing navy blue. There must be a specific shade of boy blue that alerts everyone.

5madthings Fri 01-Feb-13 16:18:20

Oh god its madness.

I have a ring sling that was given to me, I used it lots for my five, eldest four are boys. The amount if comments I got asthge sling was....purple... So a 'girl' colour. Ds4 looked particularly fetching in the sling in his purple the dyed baby grows! I dyed loads myself, red, green, blue, orange, purple all bright cheerful col ours but I did get comments on how they shouldn't wear the purple or the red ones as they are girls colours?!!

feministefatale Fri 01-Feb-13 16:14:06

she'd have to first erase all the vulvas already drawn on it though. It could ruin the effect

tethersend Fri 01-Feb-13 15:46:44

How silly.

She could just make it a boy cover by simply getting a marker pen and drawing massive willies all over it. Hey presto! Problem solved.

duchesse Fri 01-Feb-13 15:43:39

"What colour is a boy?" was my immediate thought.

BinarySolo Fri 01-Feb-13 15:38:37

At the risk of sounding thick, what's a nursing cover?

My ds has a bright pink my little pony and a piglet cuddly toy that he loves. Wouldn't dream of making him play with just boy coloured stuff.

Booyhoo Fri 01-Feb-13 15:18:27

are boys different colours than girls then? confused

i dont understand people like that.

Kveta Fri 01-Feb-13 15:15:24

at the 'pink' playgroup we go to, I often see mums using nursing covers - each to their own, I guess. but needing a 'boy-coloured' one is absurd, and should be judged, and judged hard!

C4ro Fri 01-Feb-13 15:13:23

Pfft!
My DD hated being tucked under anything, it never occurred to me she might just have been raising an objection to the colour/ lack of sparkly pink glitter.

badguider Fri 01-Feb-13 15:10:09

The only time i've seen one in real life was in a bit of rain/sleet in yellowstone NP while waiting for a geyser to go off so it seemed like a good idea to me... wouldn't wear one indoors though.

feministefatale Fri 01-Feb-13 14:55:37

I don't really see the point of them, and I hate that women feel they need them, but can't judge any one for using one if they feel more comfortable for having one.

Absolutely judge needing a boy coloured one though grin

poor little things penis could fall off in a purple one, don't you know

Startail Fri 01-Feb-13 13:00:32

As for nursing covers, I've never even seen one.

I just fed in a loose Tshirt.
Out doors you just wear a zip fronted fleece.
On country walks you just snuggle baby in the pram blanket and your fleece round the edges,

Startail Fri 01-Feb-13 12:56:03

DD had blue summer dungarees.

She was called a boy every time she wore them.

They were covered in batik flowers.

Honestly, does blue really equal boy that strongly.

badguider Fri 01-Feb-13 12:55:00

'boy coloured' is ridiculous - in fact made me wonder if the person's DH was going to be nursing shock

but nursing covers in general are surely great for feeding outdoors - do your boobs not get cold otherwise?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now