Job Ad

(13 Posts)
WoTmania Wed 30-Jan-13 17:27:24

'We are looking for the right person to join our friendly team of girls at XXXX XXXX' confused
If it wasn't too far away anyway it would have totally put me off. I'm not a 'girl', and definitely don't want to be working for someone who thinks of her employees as girls <sigh>

MrsClown1 Wed 30-Jan-13 21:41:13

Totally agree with you. If you challenged them on it they would wonder what you were upset about. I dont understand it.

AbigailAdams Wed 30-Jan-13 21:44:44

Wrong on many levels. Who on earth thought that this was OK?

KRITIQ Wed 30-Jan-13 21:49:55

It's quite probably unlawful.

AbigailAdams Wed 30-Jan-13 22:18:50

That is interesting Kritiq. You may be onto something there. Go on WoTmania, name and shame grin

GayleFartsAreLoud Wed 30-Jan-13 23:41:21

Sounds sleazy.

WoTmania Thu 31-Jan-13 13:44:53

I did indeed wonder about that KRITIQ. It's working in a flower shop. I'll see if I can find it again.
but 'girls' <shudder>

TeiTetua Thu 31-Jan-13 13:46:38

It does say she wants someone to join a team of girls, not necessarily to be a girl. Maybe the boys will all be lining up for this one.

KirstyoffEastenders Thu 31-Jan-13 13:49:14

Awful and patronising. I was on a training course this week where the reception staff were described as 'girls' in the context of "the 'girls' will be round at regular intervals with coffee and biscuits". I work in a very male dominated industry and was the only woman on the course. I nearly said something but I'd already done my part for the sisterhood by complaining when someone apologised to me for swearing. ARRRRGH!!!!

WoTmania Thu 31-Jan-13 13:56:03

You mean you didn't faint away with shock and horror at the 'bad language' Kirsty. My what a strong constitution you must have for a laydeeee grin.
I wish I'd saved it now.

WoTmania Thu 31-Jan-13 14:03:49

TeiTetua - true, it doesn't specify that they want a female.
This is the ad: East&start= obviously just for anyone who is interested in the south east

AbigailAdams Thu 31-Jan-13 15:12:44

No but from Kritiq's link it could be illegal because it is targeting a young person. After all girls are under 18!

feministefatale Thu 31-Jan-13 15:45:07

I think they are trying to get young cheap applicants

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now