Does a prudish attitude towards sex reduce sex-crimes?

(57 Posts)
Charlizee Thu 24-Jan-13 20:01:10

And does censorship help reduce sex crimes?

Discuss.

chibi Thu 24-Jan-13 20:03:39

does posting an OP in such a high handed manner like this annoy?

discuss.

Given the amount of sex crime in Victorian times, I doubt it!

Portofino Thu 24-Jan-13 20:08:51

Sex crimes, ie rape, tend not to about sex, but rather than power and control. How would be being prudish help? Do you mean women should go round in ankle length clothing or something?

Portofino Thu 24-Jan-13 20:10:05

And censorship of what?

Charlizee Thu 24-Jan-13 20:14:21

By censorship I mean banning things like topless beaches/breastfeeding/public nudity etc and requiring a black bar be used to hide female nipples if a topless woman is printed or shown on TV.

Mitchy1nge Thu 24-Jan-13 20:16:10

OP are you obsessed with black bars over nipples or has someone else been repeating that phrase a lot lately?

seeker Thu 24-Jan-13 20:16:29

No. But it would reduce the reporting of them, and increase the suffering of the "victims"

FreyaSnow Thu 24-Jan-13 20:17:27

I'm mystified by this as I don't think rape of breasts is a common crime. If you google '4 types of rapists', you can get profiles and motivations of each type. That might help you understand what causes rape.

Charlizee Thu 24-Jan-13 20:20:07

@mitchy I did post that in another thread but it wasn't really relevant to that thread so I made a new one.

Charlizee Thu 24-Jan-13 20:23:09

Question-

If you were at a beach and a woman took her top off exposing her bare breasts and you had a young child with you what would you do? Make a fuss and cover your child's eyes or don't say anything at all?

Just curious.

No, I think that banning innocent nudity is more about a negative attitude to women than about "protecting" them.

And pictures of topless women are a symptom of an attitude to women that reduces them to commodities. Adding a black bar to their nipples would not improve this. Removing them completely from "ordinary" newspapers and magazines might help. And, again, I don't have any fundamental problem with nudity on TV etc where it is relevant and where men are similarly shown - have just been watching the box set of Rome, and we've seen a clearer view of James Purefoy than of any of the women.

NicholasTeakozy Thu 24-Jan-13 20:25:50

That's exactly right. Pushing the blame for rape and other sexual offences onto women is spot on. hmm Better that than blaming the actual rapists/sexual predators. Well fucking done.

And Porto is right. Rape is about power, fear and control.

I'd have had no problem with DS seeing a woman's breasts. I think it is healthy to see a range of normal bodies in normal situations, and not expect the world to be perfect and air-brushed.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 24-Jan-13 20:28:21

Can you define a prudish attitude? Thanks.

If I could rephrase your question as, "Would a reduction in the perception and portrayal of women's bodies as a commodity in the media lead to a reduction in sex crime?" then I might be more inclined to answer "yes, it probably would, particularly in street harassment etc."

Bluestocking Thu 24-Jan-13 20:28:28

Why don't you tell us what you think, OP?

NicholasTeakozy Thu 24-Jan-13 20:28:48

If you were at a beach and a woman took her top off exposing her bare breasts and you had a young child with you what would you do? Make a fuss and cover your child's eyes or don't say anything at all?

I said nothing. By the time my and XWs kids went to a beach they already knew what breasts looked like as they'd been fed by them.

Are you usually this dense?

seeker Thu 24-Jan-13 20:30:11

Question. Why would a topless woman be shown in the press or on TV anyway?

Portofino Thu 24-Jan-13 20:33:53

I think that people should be able to walk round stark naked if that is what WANT without being in fear of being raped. Rape is not about what you are wearing or doing - it is having the misfortune to meet a rapist. Anything else is victim blaming.

BelaLugosisShed Thu 24-Jan-13 20:33:56

Don't you know OP? There is no rape or sexual assault in Saudi Arabia, oh wait.....

Portofino Thu 24-Jan-13 20:35:05

Obviously I realise that people naked in public might attract the attention of non-rapists and there are laws and stuff. But that has nothing to do with rape.

BelaLugosisShed Thu 24-Jan-13 20:36:55

I've been topless on holiday without a second thought, DH was surrounded by topless women at one point, he managed not to stick his penis into any of them.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 24-Jan-13 20:37:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Portofino Thu 24-Jan-13 20:37:45

Bela - that was SO good of him!

Smudging Thu 24-Jan-13 20:41:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now