Chat thread - come chat, rant, or celebrate, here!

(434 Posts)

With thanks to the lovely timetosmile - here's the new and rejuvenated Chat Thread.

Space to yak on, rant, post any of the good and bad stuff ... just basically any chat that you don't feel fits into a specific post. With a side order of reclaiming the word 'gossip'.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Sat 09-Feb-13 11:05:38

I was doing party bags for DS2 last night and had to make a conscious effort not to "match" the pink bookmarks from the assorted bookmarks with the Upsy Daisy books from the ITNG sets I was splitting up.

I am hmm at myself. I have sealed all the bags to stop myself from checking which is which when I give them out.

DS2 is 3.

So how is everyone doing?

I'm sitting here imagining some wonderful feminist utopia in which I could reasonably expect not to have to have the same boring arguments about why I'm a feminist over and over.

Does this get anyone else down? Crikey. I mean, I know it's positive people are interested, but I do get a bit tired of it.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Mon 18-Feb-13 19:54:54

LRD, do RL people ask you why you are a feminist? Or do you mean on the Internet?
I don't really have that happen in RL.

Real life people do. In their terminology it's my own 'fault' since I'm rude enough to admit to it in RL.

ediblewoman Mon 18-Feb-13 20:29:41

I have had that too, weird.

I am feeling a bit of a rant, my employer is winding me up, the new Commissioner for Violence Against Women and Girls post (and arghh at the job title surely it needs an 'against' in there) is a man. I really strongly feel it should have been an exempted post, but have been repeatedly told that I am wrong and that the new bloke must be experienced. Which totally misses the point that he could be a brilliant commissioner but we have little to no real experience in frontline organisations that campaign against violence against women or work with women fleeing violence as those posts are, almost exclusively, restricted to women only.

Rant over, feel better now...

Rant away.

That is really appalling, though. The idea they couldn't find a woman to do tht job. As if. I mean, how absurd.

ediblewoman Mon 18-Feb-13 20:33:47

I know, when I think of the women I know within the field locally I cannot conceive that none of them applied/were appointable. It is just...well.

It's awful. And incredibly patronizing.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Tue 19-Feb-13 08:35:20

LRD, I'm really surprised (and disheartened) given what you do that you get that response. In my day <waves walking stick> all the PhD types I knew wouldn't have dreamt of mocking feminism.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 19-Feb-13 10:38:14

Hello!

Just found this. May I join in?

Obviously not read the whole thing because I'm supposed to be working at the moment. wink But saw mention of Athena Swan. We are doing that too these days. Not sure what I think about it at the moment ...

Did anyone rant about the "Slow down mummy" "poem" that was making the rounds on FB a few weeks ago? Will find link later.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Tue 19-Feb-13 13:11:57

Hi lord copper!

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 19-Feb-13 13:51:02

<< sneaking on here for a little break from working/shouting-at-kids/cooking-eating-lunch >>

Slow down mummy. Had me frothing in the mouth. Am I over sensitive?

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 19-Feb-13 13:52:27

The things with Athena Swan and maths: we have more female undergraduates (maths) than male undergraduates. We have the sum total of 1 female professor. Something happens in between....

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 19-Feb-13 13:53:26

And hello doctrine! smile

AbigailAdams Tue 19-Feb-13 16:12:00

Not liking the poem at all LordCopper. It just seems to imply that women should be doing everything domestically but that all that isn't really as necessary or as important as your child - just in case we didn't already know that. It is patronising and implying that women have to juggle it all and as such you will never get the balance right. hmm

With regards Athena Swann, when it was presented to me (this was part of a women's forum at work) I did ask whether part of the scheme looked at why women weren't getting through to the top echelons because my thoughts were the reasons were more layered than just plain good old discrimination (although undoubtedly that is still a major factor) but more that the whole workplace and jobs were designed for people who didn't have childcare responsibilities i.e. men! Or even more subtly women's confidence (or lack thereof) was a hindering factor. And I don't mean that derogatorily. But the woman who presented gave a perfect example of when she had been interviewed for a position, she walked into a room and there were 7 men sitting their facing her. She found that very intimidating (as you would!). So I think that they are looking quite deeply into the reasons for the discrimination rather than just "oh look you haven't got enough women, get some more!".

Whether these issues get addressed remains to be seen!

AbigailAdams Tue 19-Feb-13 16:48:19

And whilst we are chatting about women in science this is an interesting article:
How stereotypes can drive women to quit science

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Tue 19-Feb-13 17:06:03

Thanks Abigail, that's a really interesting experiment. Have posted in Science and Nature Club as well, hope you don't mind.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 19-Feb-13 17:44:40

I've posted this on other threads as well - only read the free sample chapter (cheapskate blush) but it was extremely interesting.

I used to scorn all these equality business and all the processes and guidelines. But now that I'm older more grown up I begin to see how the odds are stacked against some of us.

I'm reading Delusion of Gender ATM (having just finished the Millennium trilogy finally) and giving DSs summaries. grin

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 19-Feb-13 17:47:01

Quick rant about the "poem" before washing up hmm - having DC who are a bit older (6 & 9) I'm doubly upset about the idea that they should even think that it's my job to do all these things. In fact I set them to work too - after all we all live in this house and we should all pull our weight. So now me to the washing up and them to the tidying-up of Lego ...

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 19-Feb-13 20:31:44

Abigail - interesting link. But I wish I didn't read the comments lower down the page. Depressed now...

AbigailAdams Tue 19-Feb-13 20:41:32

Oh I never saw those! I have an automatic mind/eye block when it comes to comments grin

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 19-Feb-13 20:52:00

I should really know better than read comments by the MGP (Members of the General Public), ever since I inadvertently read a comment on youtube criticising Rachmaninov for playing a Rachmaninov prelude wrong ...

AbigailAdams Tue 19-Feb-13 22:13:44

grin

pookamoo Tue 19-Feb-13 23:02:03

I'd like to join in if I can, please? Feeling slightly miffed hmm at something that happened today and wanted to get your take on it.

DD1 started her first day at preschool today. Very nice staff, but:
They greeted her with:
"Hello gorgeous, don't you look beautiful today? Now xxxxx, what do you like playing with best? Shall we go and find the home corner and the dollies?"

They didn't give her the chance to answer the question about which toys she likes playing with. Actually she's not so fussed about dollies, although she does like dressing up, and she'd been eying up the big brio train layout since we walked in the room. I said nothing (to my shame when I thought about it).

I just wish she had been given the opportunity to say for herself, and had not been judged on her appearance when she came in the room. She's 4. What hope is there?!

DH was pretty pissed off about it when I told him. We have two girls, and fighting gender stereotyping is so hard. It doesn't help when some of the teenage girls I know think that feminism is "done" and "we are all equal now, so whatever".

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest. Hello. smile

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Tue 19-Feb-13 23:41:03

Not surprised you felt miffed. Hope DD had a go on the Brio later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now