Chat thread - come chat, rant, or celebrate, here!

(434 Posts)

With thanks to the lovely timetosmile - here's the new and rejuvenated Chat Thread.

Space to yak on, rant, post any of the good and bad stuff ... just basically any chat that you don't feel fits into a specific post. With a side order of reclaiming the word 'gossip'.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 06-May-13 22:50:59

YY re Lego..

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 07-May-13 10:26:48

I agree that toys should be just toys for children, nothing to do with gender. But I still want a discussion on whether we see things targeted at boys as the norm and things targeted at girls as somehow substandard, and the Lego toys are a case in point. (I am nothing if not tenacious. grin)

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 07-May-13 12:43:47

Sorry!

I absolutely agree that things targeted at boys are the norm. Girls playing with "toys for boys" causes far less concern than vice versa. No one bats an eyelid at a girl on a blue scooter but a boy on a pink one would get some comments.

Because Lego Friends exists, a friend of mine who buys Lego for lucky dips etc, now buys different sets for each gender because she thinks she should. It's a vicious circle.

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 08-May-13 13:30:13

Having demanded a discussion I find that I have not much else to say. blush

But I want to know why I look down my nose at Lego Friends. What's wrong with it, apart from that "it's for girls"? I was going to say that the female figures conforms to stereotyped ideas of beauty etc etc but then Lego figures are hardly supposed to be realistic, are they!? I've certainly not seen actual real boys looking like the green ninja in Lego Ninjago. Then I was going to say that Lego Friends sets are vacuous, but then surely so are made-up ninjas? FFS Lego Friends have karate classes, tree houses (actually DS2 would love that), flying clubs etc. So what's wrong with them?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 08-May-13 19:59:23

What's wrong with them is that they are gendered and pinkified when they don't need to be. A pet store, a house, whatever else there is could be part of a generic town (me and DBro had one growing up).

It also seems like: here is Lego if you like pirates, here is Lego if you like space, here is Lego if you like ninjas, here is Lego if you're a girl. It's an unequal (dissimilar?) classification.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 08-May-13 20:01:12

It's like magazine sections in stores "Sports/politics/science/women's interest"

FloraFox Wed 08-May-13 21:05:43

I agree that toys targeted for girls should not be viewed as substandard and there are some good ones out there in among all the crap. Lego Friends is crap though not just because it is pink but because it is not interesting or challenging. There's no real building, it's really just mini-fig dollies.

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 09-May-13 11:02:44

I don't know that Lego Friends is crap (finding myself in the very odd position of defending Lego Friends hmm confused) - it looks about the same level as the smaller Lego City models. Which, I suppose, brings us to the point that Doctrine made about it being an unequal classification. Everything else for boys and this limited stuff for girls.

OK - I think it's getting clearer now why I am allowed to disapprove of Lego Friends. grin Thank you.

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 13-May-13 14:45:59

Another question:

I'm going to buy a book on puberty for DS1. Now, there are lots of "body books" for boys. But I find it difficult to buy things "for boys" and "for girls". In this case I can almost see that it almost possibly might make sense. But I still want to buy a book for just humans. Would it be terrible for DS to know about periods and growing breasts? Am I misguided? (In fact are there books for boys AND girls in a volume? Must check that out ...)

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 13-May-13 18:36:05

I had a You and Your Body book that covered both when growing up

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 13-May-13 18:36:59

I made it through the shittiest work day today without crying!

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 13-May-13 21:55:17

Doctrine Hope you are OK. What happened?

Does your body book cover puberty and all that?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 16-May-13 09:35:19

Let's just say, "Fuck them and the horse they rode in on." is being said a lot this week.

Yes it did but I can't remember the publisher now. Next time I call my mum, I'll ask!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 17-May-13 09:30:51

Bump

UptoapointLordCopper Fri 17-May-13 10:10:02

I'm sick of feminism already. Why do we still need it? angry More later perhaps. Don't want to out myself! Suffice to say I would like to shove the heads of some people who claim to be gender-blind down the toilet.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 17-May-13 19:19:12

Sodding Buzz Lightyear. One female named character and she's Barbie girl busty and waisty even though it's a kids' cartoon and she's a kick ass space ranger princess.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 17-May-13 19:20:47

What happened, LordCopper?

UptoapointLordCopper Sun 19-May-13 17:11:14

doctrine people objecting to positive statements on job adverts. But let me get an opinion. What do you think when you see, on job adverts, statements like "We welcome applications from women/ethnic minority ..."? Is it patronising? Is it off-putting?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 19-May-13 18:55:59

No, I don't think it's either.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 21-May-13 19:45:51

I saw a "The Doodle Book for Boys" in Waterstones. << faints >> Even doodling is gendered.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 21-May-13 20:37:33

Sent off message to Usborne book to complain ... Is someone going to tell me I'm oversensitive and have no sense of humour?

BlingLoving Wed 22-May-13 09:06:43

I wondered off this thread for ages. Hello again!

Has anyone seen that Audi ad? The one where the woman falls and everything is show to be shoddy? The tag line is something about style without substance? so icky.

But mostly, I just want to rant today about the man in the office next to me. In the last few weeks I've had to "justify" why I am not Mrs DHName (or Mrs DSName for that matter). I've had to explain why DH is perfectly capable of taking DS to an important doctor's appointment while I'm at work as he's a SAHP and that's what SAHPs do. And I've had to avoid commenting on my pleasure about the gay marriage bill because I deeply suspect he does not agree with it. It's so tiring.

Tell me happy, feminist things please?

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 22-May-13 14:47:22

Hello!

I did see the Audi ad. It was awful in a rather creepy way.

Haven't had a bad day at work, apart from long meetings where I actually just got some work done while not listening. I suppose that's not good, but that stuff really has nothing to do with me. There were 2 women and about 10 men. People who say women talk a lot should come to these meetings. hmm

No Happy Feminist Thing but I talked to at least 3 female colleagues and we didn't talk about men. grin

vbac Wed 22-May-13 14:48:07

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

VerySmallSqueak Wed 22-May-13 14:54:55

<yawn>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now