The Media show - why aren't there more female experts on media shows?

(7 Posts)
Darkesteyes Thu 24-Jan-13 01:02:45

Im sure i once saw a quote from Caitlin Moran saying the reason she doesnt go on panel shows like Mock the Week is because they are so mysogynistic and male dominated.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 23-Jan-13 20:34:32

There is an organisation that sorts out these bookings but I've forgotten the name.

kim147 Wed 23-Jan-13 19:54:28

The pledge:

"The pledge

“We pledge to attempt to increase the number of expert women interviewed in broadcast news to reflect the growing number of women in significant roles in business and the professions.

“We will raise awareness of the ratio of women presented as ‘victims’ or ‘case studies’, to the number of women presented as experts or commentators.

“We will aim to narrow the gap between the number of male and female experts used in programmes, by encouraging broadcasters to use more women experts, and by encouraging more women experts to take part.”

Not signed by the BBC

HumphreyCobbler Wed 23-Jan-13 18:56:06

I heard this, very interesting.

Someone still said that men get insulted too (ref Mary Beard) and it could be just a question of 'how you take it' though. I am paraphrasing, this was my impression.

hatgirl Wed 23-Jan-13 18:53:21

didn't listen to it but will later. I am a radio 4 listener and am frequently infuriated by the lack of women that are invited to speak generally and also on issues that primarily impact upon women.

I was pleasantly surprised on Tuesday (I think - the days all merge into one) where the only two 'experts' talking about a subject were both women and it was just a general topic. I'm now less surprised as now I feel it may have been a nod to today's programme.

kim147 Wed 23-Jan-13 18:49:09
kim147 Wed 23-Jan-13 17:54:21

Really interesting discussion - lots of points raised including the broadcasting pledge to increase the number of women experts and the way women are portrayed.

Interesting arguments - lots of talk about women lacking confidence to appear on TV (female guest got lots of make up / hair. - male guest got nothing), lack of confidence as an expert even though they were experts, shows wanting a female expert even though not the best expert, male dominance in business / sports / politics compared to more women in health and science)

Apparently the BBC did not sign the pledge.

Here's a link:

No link available yet as it was only one at 4.30pm Radio 4 Wed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now