This has really upset me.

(62 Posts)
HighBrows Mon 21-Jan-13 17:28:25

Man out on bail for rape of daughter

Basically this animal man raped his daughter for over 10 years. She finally got her day in court and the 12 year sentence was reduced to 3 years ANC he's been given bail to appeal.

This judge gives very low sentences for sexual assualts. My daughters 11& 12 were listening to this with me and I told them the only way for change to shit like this is for them to strive and want change too. I told them to become future law makers.

I'm heartbroken for this woman, she is so brave and she deserved justice.

HighBrows Thu 24-Jan-13 12:21:58

www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0124/breaking14.html

It's something I suppose, I just hope the bad handling of this case will evoke some kind of judicial review.

HeyHoHereWeGo Thu 24-Jan-13 13:48:33

It is something. It is good. And I am suprised that a judge changed his mind. Was there massive political pressure put on him> I suspect that the outrage, the media, rape crises centre etc all played their part.
So brave for this woman to call on her father to accept his (short) sentence and not to appeal.
Lets face it if he appeals he'll serve longer.
I hope the DPP does still appeal the leniency.
I wish he got an American style 126 years!!!

MarcelineTheVampireQueen Thu 24-Jan-13 15:27:40

Political pressure has never changed his mind before in any of the dodgy verticts he has given. Lots of reporters say he is a media hound, always looking for the big cases, of he doesnt recognise a reported in the court, the reporter is questioned as to who he is and what paper he is from.

I think of all else, with tensions being so high in the community, that there were probably rumours of vigilantes in the area, that man was getting punished one way or another.

Schnarkle Thu 24-Jan-13 16:02:30

Delighted that the DPP dragged his sorry ass back to the courts today. The bastard is so sick that this 3 years is literally a life sentence for him. The wife hopefully will have a lonely bitter life ahead of her to look forward to.

StephaniePowers Thu 24-Jan-13 16:07:29

I wonder precisely what in this judge's history makes him so lenient towards rapists and child rapists.

HeyHoHereWeGo Thu 24-Jan-13 16:40:27

He desn't see women and children as full people I would say...

SinisterSal Thu 24-Jan-13 20:31:17

An apology was nice to hear.

HilaryClinton Thu 24-Jan-13 21:07:17

I would also be interested StephaniePowers because he has given more than one 30 year sentence for drugs offences.

spatchcock Fri 25-Jan-13 15:39:50

Good. I'm glad he's been sent down, even if it is just for three years. Three years will feel a long time to someone of his age.

Judge Paul Carney is a disgraceful example of how the law so often fails to protect women and children.

WowOoo Colombia Fri 25-Jan-13 16:59:00

Am glad he was persuaded a re think.
Hope that petition made a difference.

But still, doesn't seem like justice to me.
Exactly HighBrows, it's just not good enough.

SinisterSal Sat 26-Jan-13 00:02:59

Fiona Doyle was telling her story on thr Late Late just there. You might catch it on plus one, or it may be on rte.ie search for late late show if you are not in ireland. Its very upsetting but powerful. You have our support Fiona if by chance you see this. And your daughter is a wonderful young woman! She got it from you.

What is it about young women that this judge hates? He gave a fifteen year sentence to a man who raped a 75 year old woman. (Unless I've read that wrong, apologies if I have)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now