just needing a rant about today

(3 Posts)
Stropzilla Sun 20-Jan-13 21:08:39

Dh and I started watching Misfits on Netflix. 2 episodes in I had to stop watchinh before my blood pressure went through the roof! So the male characters get interesting powers like invisibility and precognition. The 2 women not so much. One hears thoughts, mostly men thinking about shagging her. The other has the power to make men rape her. Really. They touch her and get the overwhelming urge to rip her clothes off. One such attack left another woman saying oh but you're so beautiful. Like its her fault. Every female on the show is there not for character advancement or story but male enjoyment.

Next I find the new Tomb Raider origins story features Lara not being the strong character we know but rather weak and scared until she is raped and becomes strong.

Why the hell do women have to be definef by having a dick in them! And don't get me started about the barbie magazine and Disney Princess books my daughter has been given.

Ok rant over sorry! Going to get some wine and chill out.

Seabright Sun 20-Jan-13 22:48:34

Thanks for the warning to avoid these. I find I am applying the Beshdel test to everything I see at the moment.

Just watched:
1. Call the Midwife - pass
2. Ripper Street - fail

Stropzilla Sun 20-Jan-13 23:37:48

Misfits definitely fails the Beshdel test. The girls dont even talk unless its about guys. Very depressing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now