Free pole dancing lessons at your local library

(79 Posts)
sisterbrute Sat 19-Jan-13 13:15:01

This: www.midlothian.gov.uk/news/article/777/grab_a_book_and_a_free_pole_dancing_lesson
Having lurked on a recent 'pole dancing for fitness' thread and been thoroughly convinced by the arguments against it, I find this use of a library quite shocking - what were they thinking?

Gigabot9k Sat 26-Jan-13 01:12:26

Patriarchy is a system of male leadership.

Matriarchy is a system of female leadership.

There is no "one" group of rulers/leaders, there are many. There are also many sub-groups.

If there were these all powerful leaders, controlling from the shadows, then we would never ever see political reform or social change.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Sat 26-Jan-13 01:13:15

Excellent.

Where is there a matriarchy?

SinisterSal Sat 26-Jan-13 01:17:45

A matriarchy! Fab! Where?

Gigabot9k Sat 26-Jan-13 01:19:04

Where is there a matriarchy?

Where ever a woman or group of women is telling other women what to do i.e. female leadership.

Example A:
>woman wants to pole dance
>other women actively humilate her and try to force her and others to follow them i.e. lead them

Leadership does have to be the over-all influence of the entire world; it exists in homes, schools, playing fields, pubs, you name it.

There are many sub-groups of power, each having an effect on each other.

A government leads a country, but the people can pressure the government to change, or even force it out entirely.

Power a dynamic, not static.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Sat 26-Jan-13 01:20:05

What is the minimum number of people required for a matriarchy, do you think?

SinisterSal Sat 26-Jan-13 01:22:31

Ooh i feel like chucking people under the chin. I know its patronising and all, which is a terrible crime, but sometimes you cant help thinking ah bless. Imagine to see someone try and struggle so hard and still not manage an actual argument. Like when a three year old goes into a stream of consciousness about aliens and cats.

Gigabot9k Sat 26-Jan-13 01:23:37

A Matriarchy could be of any size.

If 3 people are performing a task, and the leader of the group is a female and she has the last word, then they are existing within a Matriarchial system.

How many people in it is irrelevant.

SinisterSal Sat 26-Jan-13 01:25:50

Lol. Keep going this is better than live at the appollo

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Sat 26-Jan-13 01:27:22

Got it, thanks.

<crosses out NCT night out in diary, renames it Matriarchy Meeting>

Gigabot9k Sat 26-Jan-13 01:27:43

The logical fallacy of believing in one big Patriarchy, is that it does take in to account the sub-groups of power that exist in our society.

If the Patriarchy says that a woman should be sexy and should wear high heels, then suddenly that idea fails if you have a young girl being forced NOT to wear high heels and be sexy by a female. That young girl is now being expressly influenced by a Matriarchial system.

SinisterSal Sat 26-Jan-13 01:29:30

More! More!

Gigabot9k Sat 26-Jan-13 01:31:15

SinisterSal, mocking someone does not equate to a counter argument.

Gigabot9k Sat 26-Jan-13 01:34:28

If someone would like to explain why I'm wrong, instead of just telling me I'm wrong, then I would be interested to hear it.

But please refrain from mocking me or just saying "nuh-uh" and shaking your heads.

SinisterSal Sat 26-Jan-13 01:40:27

Mockings more fun.
Please, do continue. Its been a hard week.

CuriousMama Sat 26-Jan-13 01:42:28

Poledancing is more like gymnastics when done for fitness, not titivation. You have to be extremely strong and flexible. It's quite an art.

I doubt the library will be encouraging male viewers?

SinisterSal Sat 26-Jan-13 01:47:25

Why not gymnastics then? Serious question.
Why go for something thats so closely related to the sex industry when thee are other similar sports that can give you 2hat you want from a fitness and skills perspective? Always there is the argument that its just the same as gymnastics, but theres obviously a difference that some people find attractive.
Sorry for typos

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Sat 26-Jan-13 01:48:07

I'll get me a one way ticket to that matriarchy. If anyone can tell me where it is please?

CuriousMama Sat 26-Jan-13 01:55:33

A pole doesn't take up as much room as a gymnasium, perhaps that's it?

There are poledancing classes in my old home town and apparently it's difficult to get a lesson it's so fully booked? People I know who do it or have done it say they do/did it for fitness and never for their OHs or anyone else. Plus it's fun.

CuriousMama Sat 26-Jan-13 01:56:45

I must say though I find it surprising that a library is doing this? Maybe they're desperate to not close and trying anything to get people in?

TheSmallerPenguin Sat 26-Jan-13 02:19:41

Presumably it's not compulsory? Perhaps you could just not go? And leave those who want to alone. Much like they probably don't pass judgement on your choices.

Charlizee Sat 26-Jan-13 03:36:40

"there isn't a matriarchy. Anywhere. In the entire world."

What about Iceland or Sweden?

DadDancer Sat 26-Jan-13 05:09:59

I wonder if men are allowed to claim this free pole dancing lesson?

Male pole dancer

AbigailAdams Sat 26-Jan-13 08:24:05

Nope Charlizee. Wealth and power still predominantly with men.

CuriousMama Sat 26-Jan-13 12:59:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CuriousMama Sat 26-Jan-13 13:02:48

^ that one looks naked in the end even though she isn't so I asked for it to be deleted in case anyone's offended. It's only her undies though. Fab dancer all the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now