What is it with American justice and rape?

(33 Posts)
kim147 Fri 04-Jan-13 19:05:36

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/imposter-wins-rape-appeal-as-victim-was-unmarried-8438571.html

The victim was unmarried so the rapist was able to rape her in her bed. If she'd been married, it would have been rape. The judge reluctantly agreed to the appeal.

WTF is it with America?

PiccadillyCervix Mon 07-Jan-13 21:04:58

*gets tiring though

kim147 Mon 07-Jan-13 21:38:30

piccadilly I was thinking about some of the comments by US politicians on legitimate rape.

Not Anti America - just some of the statements that come out of there.

kim147 Mon 07-Jan-13 21:39:25

And the college student who was forced to cheerlead the guy who raped her.

PiccadillyCervix Mon 07-Jan-13 21:46:24

Your phrasing:

What is it with American justice and rape?

WTF is it with America?

to me implies this being some sort of American problem and not a world wide problem which I found offensive

kim147 Mon 07-Jan-13 21:52:31

Wasn't meant to be so sorry if I upset you.

You'd have hoped that such a thing and such opinions could not happen in an advanced country.

Unfortunately some ignorant people in this country come out with awful statements about rape as well.

PiccadillyCervix Mon 07-Jan-13 22:00:06

Thanks kim, I get a bit sensitive blush.

It is strange that in countries with access to education about women and women's issues that we have to have these discussions. Although you would hope that humans has some kind of inate morality that didn't see women as "less than" regardless of education.

Although I wonder if it was possible for the judges to not come to the conclusion they did while acting within the law. At least this man is going to trial again and I do hope he has his ass handed to him in a spectacular way.

kim147 Mon 07-Jan-13 22:03:38

I want to know what the defense attorney thought when they realised this loophole. Did it cross their mind that this was a really awful piece of leglisation that should have been got rid of or did they just see a way of getting their client off?

PiccadillyCervix Mon 07-Jan-13 23:44:27

I imagine both. Defense attorneys have to do their job but at the end of the day they are human... Not a job I would want to do in a million years

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now