Book recommendations after reading Delusions of Gender

(8 Posts)
IwantaPetFox Fri 04-Jan-13 14:14:47

Thanks Librarians. Pink Brain Blue Brain looks quite similar to Delusions of Gender, so I think I might read the Myth of Mars and Venus next. I never read Men are from Mars but a few of my family members have and the things they spout that they read in there are absolute crap. And don't get me started on my PILs attitudes to what women should and shouldn't do... I am planning to arm myself with excellent arguments against them by reading all these books grin

pink brain, blue brain is another one that has been recommended to me that is one my 'To Read' List.

I've just finished 'The Myth of Mars and Venus' - absolutely brilliant. Very readable and clear.

IwantaPetFox Thu 03-Jan-13 22:45:40

Abigail I'm interested in other feminist books/books looking at differences and similarities between the sexes and where those come from.

Thanks for the other two recs, will check them out.

AbigailAdams Thu 03-Jan-13 20:39:54

Do you want other feminist books or other psychological type books?

Aneasy to read feminist book that I have read was Eve was Framed. Very interesting view of the legal system and how it disadvantages women.

Lessthanaballpark Thu 03-Jan-13 17:46:14

One of my favourites is "the myth of mars and Venus" by Deborah Cameron. It's much easier to read than Delusions but makes some really good points.

Mitchy1nge Thu 03-Jan-13 17:42:23

Maybe you would enjoy 'sexing the body', link here hopefully, when I had a (borrowed) copy everybody else kept stealing it so must at least have quite a broad appeal

IwantaPetFox Thu 03-Jan-13 14:23:34

Just that really! I have just finished Delusions of Gender and loved it. I've literally never read any other books with a feminist leaning, and am normally terrible at finishing non-fiction books. Any recommendations for complementary books? I liked the scientific, psychological focus of Delusions of Gender - not sure how I'd get on with a more abstract, theoretical or diatribey kind of book, but am willing to give anything a go if it's readable smile TIA!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now