To Megan Fox and other celeb mums - night nurses are a sign of flawed motherhood

(90 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Thu 20-Dec-12 16:06:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BOFingSanta Sat 22-Dec-12 19:32:39

Yes, it is exactly what I meant. It is never (or rarely) done with malice, but it can make people feel a bit crap. Generally, we all just muddle through doing our best, and we've often tried what other people are suggesting and have found that, for whatever reason, it hasn't worked for us.

PiccadillyCervix Sat 22-Dec-12 21:39:21

Amber cosleeping is not recommended by many doctors. That's why many parents choose not to do it. I had no intention of doing it with my kids and was very conscientious of always putting dd in her cot.

Ds would not have it and I had to keep him in bed with us which meant I got no sleep as I have sleep apnea and was scared shitless of rolling on him.

AmberSocks Sat 22-Dec-12 21:50:01

i guess that dependshow much notice you take of what doctors say,im very wary,i tend to go with what feels natural and do my own research but i understand not everyone is like that.

I must of just been lucky with my 4?

GalaxyDisaStar Sat 22-Dec-12 21:51:09

Sorry to hear your DS is bad too PleaseLets. DD was up countless times the last few nights. Sleepy vibes from me to both of them!

trixymalixy Sat 22-Dec-12 22:40:23

I co slept out of desperation, and it made things slightly more bearable but I was still desperate for an unbroken night's sleep.

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 23-Dec-12 07:37:36

HoleyGhost Sun 23-Dec-12 07:46:20

It implies that people who are not lucky are doing something wrong.

Not read the article (don't want to reward the journo by opening the link) but this is an interesting thread. I think the idea that we should subsume ourselves into our babies explains why mothers are judged so harshly. We have to cope without anyone seeing us sweat.

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 23-Dec-12 10:59:57

tribpot Sun 23-Dec-12 11:39:24

It’s why maternity leave was invented.

Don't American women in general have about half an hour off on maternity leave, compared to our European allowance?

But other than that - good god. I am extremely glad I didn't give the Indie the page hit to read that complete load of hate-filled toss. And if Megan Fox was 'courting admiration' why would she have admitted she had employed a night nanny?

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 23-Dec-12 11:51:51

tribpot Sun 23-Dec-12 12:44:55

10 days shock sad

So actually the article should have been about what a bloody slacker Megan Fox is compared to proper celebrity mums in the US who give birth actually on the treadmill whilst rehearsing scenes for the first day of filming the next day.

catwomanlikesmeatballs Thu 27-Dec-12 03:25:10

What a horrible article. I would have loved to have been able to afford a night nurse. I can't remember most of the first eight months from exhaustion due to a never sleeping for more than an hour at a time, constantly hyperactive, attention seeking baby. It didn't make me a better mother but it did make me forgetful, non thinking, aggressive, always sobbing and a little bit crazy and I doubt dd benefited from that.

How lovely for Megan to be able to enjoy her new baby from the get go. Some people get lucky with good sleepers, others are fortunate to have help, nothing wrong with that. I don't understand what the 'mummy martyrs' are trying to prove. There's nothing wonderful or admirable about not being able to function properly on a day to day basis and not being able to focus on or enjoy your baby because you're wrecked from months of not sleeping....ever...

Notafoodbabyanymore Thu 27-Dec-12 05:42:39

Yep, co-sleeping is the answer to every situation, every child, every mum ever. And all HCPs are crap and liars. hmm

This article is disgusting because it is both judgemental and poorly reasoned. And I don't even particularly like Megan Fox.

scottishmummy France Thu 27-Dec-12 12:49:36

venomous article
if I'd had the money id have hired staff 24-7 damn right

SingingSands Thu 27-Dec-12 13:34:32

What a horrible, nasty piece of editorial. My skin is crawling reading that. So many horrible things in such a short piece of writing, she must be very bitter and twisted inside. And her bum crack must be chaffed to bits with her yanking up her judgey pants all the time...

When DS was 2 weeks old I had hideous mastitis and was exhausted and in pain. My lovely next door neighbour took DS and his 4 year old sister outside to play for 2 hours whilst I napped on the sofa. I am eternally grateful to her for this simple kindness. I'm sure Megan Fox is just as grateful to her nanny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now