Feminism and Christmas presents

(21 Posts)
PixieHot Sat 08-Dec-12 15:38:11

I'm ashamed to admit that in the past I've been guilty of choosing presents for children in our family based on a combination of age and sex. In my defence, I don't see them very often, so I don't know a lot about what they're interested in at a particular time.

So, does anyone have any gender neutral Christmas present ideas? The children are aged 13-16 now, so I'd also like to get something that reflects the fact that they're approaching adulthood, or that might be slightly useful now. And all for ~£7 grin.

Oh dear, I think IABU.

Drawing/writing sets, a book, phone credit, gift voucher, gloves/hat, CD?

Takver Sat 08-Dec-12 17:09:58

Itunes vouchers or phone credit grin

Startail Sat 08-Dec-12 17:11:52

I' ve just had the same thought and added some unisex lego to DN's parcel.

Headphones are under £7 in TK Maxx.
A nice notebook?

PixieHot Sat 08-Dec-12 20:36:40

Thanks for the ideas smile, they're all good. I still feel a bit stuck because I just don't know what things they already have. Hmm.

I think all teenagers can use headphones and Gummy do some in great colours for about a fiver I think, add a Lindt chocolate reindeer to make it up to about £7.

PixieHot Sat 08-Dec-12 21:13:34

sun, those earphones are lovely. Great colours smile.

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 09-Dec-12 08:53:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LynetteScavo England Sun 09-Dec-12 09:06:31

Apparently you can never have enough headphones. (But I'm told they must be skull candy)

PixieHot Sun 09-Dec-12 10:01:40

I know, but a £7 voucher confused.

AbigailAdams Sun 09-Dec-12 10:13:42

Why is your budget £7? (Curious not accusatory)

PixieHot Sun 09-Dec-12 11:48:23

grin Abigail, I'm just trying to save £, as DH and I are saving up a deposit for a house. I don't mean to be a skinflint, but maybe I am being one blush. <festive shame>

samandi Sun 09-Dec-12 12:04:14

Photo frame, diary? Personally if I didn't know what they wanted I'd probably ask the parents or go the extra £3 and get vouchers.

Yes but my teenagers constantly need new headphones, they break from being stuffed in pockets etc.

Also Sainsburys have funny little speakers that plug into the headphone society of phones, ipods etc, they look like faces, rabbits etc and cost £5 or £7 I think.

AbigailAdams Sun 09-Dec-12 12:28:58

Sorry pixie as soon as I wrote I realised it was quite offensive! It just seemed a strange amount. I was also going to suggest gift tokens etc but thought it would be difficult with £7.

I like the notebook suggestions myself but I have a bit of a stationary fetish!

BertieBotts Germany Sun 09-Dec-12 12:32:09

Student cookbook each??

I think as they become teenagers it's easier to avoid the gender trap and go for stuff they actually like rather than generic. Harder if you don't know them well, though.

PixieHot Mon 10-Dec-12 21:25:49

A student cookbook is a good idea Bertie.

baahhumbug Tue 11-Dec-12 12:37:35

I have bought the Sam Stern student cookbook for my daughter for Christmas. The Get Cooking one is £6.99 on Amazon I think.

DoingitOnTheRoofTopWithSanta Tue 11-Dec-12 15:51:24

Yeah I thought 7 was an odd amount too! Not that it is too small, just a very random number! 5 or ten just seems rounder some how hmm

Maybe we are just weird abigail grin

SolidGoldFrankensteinandmurgh Wed 19-Dec-12 23:13:13

Oh FFS some of you £7 is probably what you get if you divide the amount of spare cash the OP has to spend on gifts by the number of kids she has to buy gifts for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now