'Let Toys Be Toys' Organising Thread - Part 2

(456 Posts)
OneHandWavingFree Sun 02-Dec-12 12:43:19

"Let Toys Be Toys - For Girls, and Boys" is a campaign started by a group of Mumsnetters, to convince retailers to categorise their toys by theme or function, rather than gender.

We're inviting everyone to 'like' us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter (@LetToysBeToys) and join us right here for discussion and collaborative decision-making about the next steps of our campaign.

Himalaya has been hard at work compiling the information gathered by our fantastic LTBT Mystery Shoppers, and we will be agreeing right here how the surveys will be ranked, which retailers we will be targetting with our message, and how we will go about it.

If you think that girls and boys should feel free to play with whatever toys that interest them most, and that they shouldn't walk into a toy store and feel pressurised to conform into archaic gender roles and stifling stereotypes, please join in the discussion!

aufaniae Fri 18-Jan-13 09:31:32

We've got 999 Likes on the Let Toys Be Toys Facebook page, yay!

Does anyone fancy being the 1000th? grin

DizziDoll Tue 12-Feb-13 13:23:24

just came across this site and thought that giving these kind of online boutiques some airtime could be good: http://www.notpinkorblue.co.uk/

DizziDoll Tue 12-Feb-13 13:23:58

Link again: NotPinkOrBlue

NCTPutneyFulhamEd Wed 20-Feb-13 13:51:05

Here, finally, is the article I wrote about toys and gender: Toying with gender. Feel free to share!

I'll post it on the Facebook wall

foodfiend Thu 21-Feb-13 12:23:18

Hi there. A bit late to the party, but really great to see other people getting angry about this. I did a talk about toys and gender stereotyping at a local event last night here in Cardiff. (It's called Ignite - people just stand up and talk about whatever they feel passionate about.)

There will, scarily, be video at some point, but here are my slides if anyone's interested: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11944190/JessDay_Ignite10_copy.ppt

It includes links to the petition and @LetToysBeToys, and I've used photos from the FB page, so many thanks.

(Health warning - 16MB download)

DesignJane Sun 26-Oct-14 19:34:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now