'Let Toys Be Toys' Organising Thread - Part 2

(455 Posts)
OneHandWavingFree Sun 02-Dec-12 12:43:19

"Let Toys Be Toys - For Girls, and Boys" is a campaign started by a group of Mumsnetters, to convince retailers to categorise their toys by theme or function, rather than gender.

We're inviting everyone to 'like' us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter (@LetToysBeToys) and join us right here for discussion and collaborative decision-making about the next steps of our campaign.

Himalaya has been hard at work compiling the information gathered by our fantastic LTBT Mystery Shoppers, and we will be agreeing right here how the surveys will be ranked, which retailers we will be targetting with our message, and how we will go about it.

If you think that girls and boys should feel free to play with whatever toys that interest them most, and that they shouldn't walk into a toy store and feel pressurised to conform into archaic gender roles and stifling stereotypes, please join in the discussion!

GrimmaTheNome Sun 09-Dec-12 16:54:59

Parsing...maybe they use 'market researchers' who don't dare approach those of us scowling and muttering under our breath at inane signage.

LadyKinbote Sun 09-Dec-12 17:11:44

I'm hugely sceptical that anyone would really want toys to be separated. It's so, so, weird. I wonder how robust their research is - maybe they ask leading questions or something. It seems much more likely that the stores are just tapping into a zeitgeist than responding to genuine customer needs.

I suspect it's leading questions. Or possibly it is as simple as them asking if people are happy with the current layout without giving them other options? Most people will say yes rather than thinking of alternatives

AnaisB Sun 09-Dec-12 20:25:22

Great article in the Indie - fab.

Have to say that I can easily believe that lots of shoppers like the segregation though. I was shocked recently to see that "girl versions" of toys (i.e. pink ones) often sell at more than the "gender neutral version" (primary colours). It seems people will pay a premium for gendered toys.

AnaisB Sun 09-Dec-12 20:31:39

or they were in the shop, but now I'm trying to link to illustrate my point it seems I'm wrong blush

Yes anaisb, I do think some parents like it - hard to tell whether it's a response to the pressure or if it comes from parents as the stores claim.
Buying a play piano for dd at elc, the sales assistant said, ooh we have it in pink too. I felt like a doofus saying no, this is fine - it was as though we 'ought' to get the pink if we really cared!

Smudging Sun 09-Dec-12 20:50:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Sun 09-Dec-12 20:58:57

the study i read, had a list pf the toys they used and assigned gender to them. the gender assigned was determined by adults. so the gumball machine was classed as masculine and the phone was classed as feminine.

that's what qe need to do- get toys st are a reasonable colour (ie not pink) and do a survey on what gender those toys are.
then we've got a good starting point.

so:
telephone
cuddly dog (without further function)
box of normal lego bricks
baby doll
teddy
toy kitchen items (not a whole kitchen, but say, a hot plate that makes noises or a settled or a cake oven etc)
shop till
hide n squeak eggs
stacking cups
water pistol
shape sorting
rattle
toy camera
etc

get as many as possible: use photos of the item rather than descriptions
and do vox pops.

LadyKinbote Sun 09-Dec-12 22:05:06

This is all so depressing! One point on the pink items, however, is that I've bought the pink or blue version of things a few times because it was the only one on the shelf. It's only later I've realised they make another one as well. Some of the worst culprits were a V-Tech electronic book and some magnetic letters. When I realised I'd bought the 'girls' version for DD I felt gutted!

eddiedontlikefurniture Mon 10-Dec-12 10:57:06

Hi everybody
I'm wholeheartedly in support of this, have liked/followed. I will publicise to my friends. My 4yo DD asked for a big toy truck this Christmas. I was so pleased!

WomanlyWoman Mon 10-Dec-12 12:58:39

Anyone know Italian?

5madthings Mon 10-Dec-12 13:00:04

No but my dad does i shall send him.the link!

nickelbabylyinginamanger Mon 10-Dec-12 13:00:06

can you use Google translate or babelfish?

nickelbabylyinginamanger Mon 10-Dec-12 13:02:14

it's not perfect but:
The supermarket Marks & Spencer has been criticized because it promotes explicitly some toys for boys and other for girls. A report in the United Kingdom by a group of parents and entitled "let the toys are just toys," he asked that the games are not classified according to the target audience but for types. The supermarket giant has been attacked because it has explicitly promoted a set of walkie-talkies for children and a microphone to use karaoke for girls. Accused are also chains Asda and Tesco, along with Debenhams and Wilkinsons groups and retailers of toys Toys R Us and The Entertainer, as well as TK Maxx in its stores that provides separate sections for male and female games. According to the association of parents, who contacted several psychologists, divide the toys into male and female prevents children from using certain games. A very serious risk, they say, since this will affect in the future even their career choices.

DOLLS ARE NOT FOR CHILDREN. The campaign asks shops to "stop limit the imagination and interest of children by promoting some games only for boys or girls. In 2013, it is time to abandon plates and categories that indicate to parents and children that the buildings, adventure games, toy cars and superheroes are "children's games", while the dolls, kitchens, make-up, fashion and princesses are "games for girls. '" Children In short, says the petition "Let be Toys Toys", "must be free to choose which toys to play with." Why Marks & Spencer insists that a space gun is "boy stuff", stuff for boys? Why Wilikinson puts all the dolls in a special section "games to girls"? Why Lego says on the packaging that the buildings are "children's games"? According to the petition this is "inappropriate and misleading." The doctor of the English National Health System Heather Williams adds: "Children should not feel forced to do certain things. The kits scientific, for example, are not only for males. ' Sexism with which they are proposed toys in stores could lead, for example, to have fewer engineers females in the future.

NOTHING LIGHTSABER FOR JOSEPH. How should parents then? He explains Ceri Lawrence, a lawyer and mother of two children: "Our Joseph asked Santa Claus a lightsaber but we decided not to buy" male games "such as guns, robots or cars." It is uncertain whether this way Joseph did not feel compelled to do great work induced by a sexist culture, for sure this Christmas will be very disappointed.

5madthings Mon 10-Dec-12 13:03:21

I have just sent a link to my dad as he speaks italian. I can make out some words but interesting to know what the article says!

nickelbabylyinginamanger Mon 10-Dec-12 13:04:46

<<google translate>>

5madthings Mon 10-Dec-12 13:32:17

There is a thread called 'aghhh i hate pink' the op.is being told to get a grip.... I may have got a bit ranty about genderfication and how pibk.is not just for girls.... Its in aibu.

aufaniae Mon 10-Dec-12 23:16:15

Ooh, Facebook is down, did you see?

aufaniae Mon 10-Dec-12 23:18:37

Not just the LTBT page on FB obviously! But I was there and though it wasn't working, but no, it's the whole of facebook!

5madthings Tue 11-Dec-12 08:19:20

The whole of fb crashed for about an hour!

I have a positive ad by elc to report! Shown on the nick jr channel. Girl and boy both playing drums, then the shot changes and the girl is rocking the guitar and jumping about. Its not a pink guitar either!! so elc cam get it right! i may have a look for the ad on youtube so we cam share it on ltbt fb. Its good to show when retailers get it right!

GrimmaTheNome Tue 11-Dec-12 08:45:06

Nickel - was that an autotranslate? It seems to have translated 'boys' into 'childrens' - would that our retailers would do the same! (but for 'girls' too)

nickelbabylyinginamanger Tue 11-Dec-12 14:13:26

yeah, i noticed that too! grin

it would be great, wouldn't it - the plural of boy is the same form as children, but "boy" is different.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 11-Dec-12 14:19:22

So long as the plural of 'girl' is also. As it stands, it could also read like 'boy' is the default gender and 'girl' is 'other' (like 'mankind')....I don't know if this reflects Italian or just poor autotranslate.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Tue 11-Dec-12 14:32:22

yes, that's exactly what i thought!

and i think it's the same in french too - boys is children and girls is girls.
but it's less obvious, i think.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Tue 11-Dec-12 14:34:25

confused

it might just be the context though - i just tried this:
child
son
daughter
sons
daughters
girls
boys
children

and got

bambino
figlio
figlia
figli
figlie
ragazze
ragazzi
bambini

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now