Feminism for dummies

(111 Posts)
Nigglenaggle Mon 26-Nov-12 21:46:00

Hi. I have never really read much about feminism, but I always thought, in its essence, it was about bringing equality for men and women. however reading threads in this section has lead me to believe in fact that is not the case. In fact I've come to wonder if that is even a large part of it. Please explain to me, in plain English, what feminism is. An overview of the different schools of thought within it would be welcome, however please stick to simple terms, for a simple girl grin

PortoDude Fri 30-Nov-12 19:37:12

ncg - but you posted "statistics" re domestic violence with the aim of showing that WOMEN are guilty in large proportions too. The statistics might show that more men are subject to dv - but they don't show that it is women that are responsible.

namechangeguy Fri 30-Nov-12 21:09:31

That was not me.

PortoDude Fri 30-Nov-12 21:54:30

Oh sorry NCG - indeed it was NOT you. I am very sorry. blush

PortoDude Fri 30-Nov-12 21:57:33

It was OneMoreChap that posted the "stats" and I saw ncg at the bottom of the page and got the blokes mixed up.

OneMoreChap Fri 30-Nov-12 22:39:08

Rise in *women* convicted or did we miss that?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 30-Nov-12 22:48:42

OMC that link and the link from it talks about 7% of convictions for DV being of women ie 4,000 out of 59,000.

PortoDude Sat 01-Dec-12 17:24:11

Good blog about the subject of male dv here

PortoDude Sat 01-Dec-12 17:25:09

Good blog POST that should say....

TeiTetua Sat 01-Dec-12 17:45:54

I've heard anecdotal claims that the rate of domestic violence is about the same among heterosexuals as it is in gay male couples and lesbian couples. If that were to be true, it would say that when two women are cooped up in a relationship, they're as likely to descend to violence as anyone--except that if it's "anyone" of differing genders, it's much more likely to be the man hurting the woman than vice versa. I don't know what to say about that. There are things that a man will do to a woman that a woman won't do to a man, and the same doesn't apply to two women or to two men?

OneMoreChap Sat 01-Dec-12 19:09:28

TheDoctrineOfSnatch the issue is the rise in reports and convictions; we welcome it for rape; we should welcome it for other offences, neh?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 01-Dec-12 21:43:48

OMC, in your first post that cited the article about the rise, you quoted Abigail saying that violent women in relationships were rare, and you seemed to be using your various citations as a counterargument to this quote, saying her view was dated.

Perhaps I misunderstood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now