Purity balls, your opinions?

(22 Posts)
FirmlyInTheClosetAsImAMonster Fri 23-Nov-12 14:29:37

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSIPeSj_Xkk&feature=relmfu
Very interesting video, quite quick but the basics of it is that The US government is using a girls purity or virginity to enforce gender stereotypes and lower womens rights. Not sure I buy it, what do you think?

helpyourself Fri 23-Nov-12 14:33:03

Not seen the video, but I don't like the concept of virginity as some sacred special thing- I'm a Christian and believe in Monogamy and self respect, but the whole Purity/ Virginity thing forced on girls- nah patriarchal and oppressive.

helpyourself Fri 23-Nov-12 14:35:34

Couldn't view the video, but from the comments I think I'd agree- thanks for linking to it, I'll try and watch it later.

namechangeguy Fri 23-Nov-12 15:12:05

One of the things I have learned on here is the inherent danger of penis-in vagina sex for women, in terms of infection and risk of pregnancy. Added to which, from a pleasure point of view, for many women it does not lead directly to orgasm. Some feminists feel that there is too much focus in society on PIV as the only form of 'real' sex for the above reasons, which by default also means that lesbian and gay people 'aren't doing it right'.

From this point of view, can it be a good thing to focus young women on abstaining from PIV, perhaps in favour of less risky alternatives health-wise?

helpyourself Fri 23-Nov-12 15:38:00

If that is the intention of the purity movement, ncg I don't think the organisers know it- in fact they'd probably be horrified if that was a consequence!

namechangeguy Fri 23-Nov-12 15:58:53

Might it be an unintended positive outcome though? A lowering of STDs and unwanted pregnancies has to be a good thing. If we didn't focus so much on PIV, maybe women would be more free to choose different sexual practices.

Just musing here, I don't know enough about this movement.

As another Christian, are church teaches no sex before marriage and no heavy petting/necking either.

It is taught just as much and expected of just as much with boys as it is for girls.

So I have never considered it oppressive in any way.

expatinscotland Fri 23-Nov-12 16:14:08

Plenty of these in the US, with the fathers taking the lead in protecting their daughters' purity and 'true love waits' rings and such.

Thankfully, I no longer live there.

amarylisnightandday Fri 23-Nov-12 16:17:51

True love waits......that's been around donkeys years now in the us I remember a doc about it in the 90's where they but dc all their secular music!

Namechangeguy - I like your spin in it grin

how many of those girls daddies stayed pure till marriage? Very few, if any. I'm guessing.

pure? yucky word. as if you are tainted once you have sex

this has really annoyed me actually.

sorry just had to have a little lol at miley Cyrus. she's never off liam hemsworth now!

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 23-Nov-12 16:22:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sleepyhead Fri 23-Nov-12 16:30:53

I've read several articles over the years which suggest that the emphasis on "purity" and virginity is interpreted very literally by teens, ie anal/oral is fine, piv is not.

I'd worry that there's an emphasis on keeping yourself "pure" which translates to intact hymen, thus neglecting safe sex messages and risking higher levels of oral/anal transmitted stds. I wonder how much other types of sexual contact are discussed at all.

grimbletart Fri 23-Nov-12 17:09:28

The day they have purity balls for boys is the day I'll think this is anything but misogynist twattery.

Trills Fri 23-Nov-12 17:10:50

"Purity balls" sound like something you'd put into your washing machine.

GetAllTheThings Fri 23-Nov-12 17:20:16

I'd think purity balls should be a term for abstaining boys.

That whole thing with girls pledging their virginity to their dads is uber creepy.

maybenow Fri 23-Nov-12 17:27:54

haven't watched the video (bad internet connection) but i can't stand the word purity for virginity.

what does that make me? and every biological mother in the world - impure?

sex isn't dirty. virginity is not pure. yes, i'm for not having sex until in a committed relationship willing to deal with the consequences of conception, but no, i don't believe in the idea of 'purity'.

expatinscotland Fri 23-Nov-12 21:35:13

'The day they have purity balls for boys is the day I'll think this is anything but misogynist twattery.'

EXACTLY!

AndIfATenTonTruck Fri 23-Nov-12 21:42:35

It's only sixty years (or less) since a woman was expected to go and be "churched" some days after childbirth. To wash away the filth of the filthy birth thing. hmm . My grandmother told me, in reference to my mother who was born 1951. Just while we're talking of purity and women's bodies.

AndIfATenTonTruck Fri 23-Nov-12 21:47:10
samandi Mon 26-Nov-12 13:12:21

I think the whole thing is weird and creepy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now