Great response to Lord McAlpine suing on Twitter

(107 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Wed 21-Nov-12 09:49:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Xenia Thu 22-Nov-12 09:50:13

Yes, things are not libel if they are true. I am sure we all bear that in mind every day. You cannot libel the dead but you might still have a problem if a difficulty is caused to their relatives

Nancy66 Thu 22-Nov-12 15:29:59

The blog is nonsense.

I support his action. Being accused of being a paedophile probably is the worst thing you can be accused of - worse than murder in some instances.

Lord M said in his statement that he had the utmost sympathy for the victims.

Bet people would be a lot more sympathetic if he wasn't a Tory

YNK Thu 22-Nov-12 15:45:36

I believe he is using the police to investigate his claims of libel. Shouldn't he be using the Italian police force and not ours, considering he is resident there and pays NO British tax whatsoever?

YNK Thu 22-Nov-12 15:48:53

Another useful ploy is the false accusation. First, create a situation where you are wrongly accused. Then, at a convenient moment, arrange for the false accusation to be shown to be false beyond all doubt. Those who have made accusations ….. become discredited. Further accusations will then be treated with great suspicion.

this is a quote from McAlpines 2000 book, 'The New Machiavelli'

We've already had that quote, back up-thread, YNK.

Xenia Thu 22-Nov-12 15:57:21

He has instructed solicitors. I thought they were probably acting on a no win/no fee basis but I might be wrong.

MiniTheMinx Fri 23-Nov-12 19:17:13

What difference does it make, if you don't use his title, that includes MR/LORD etc.

Under law the man is separate to the legal "person" when someone registers a birth, they register the "person" which is the legal representation of the man/woman, the two things are entirely separate. What difference does this make to libel law?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now