Great response to Lord McAlpine suing on Twitter

(107 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Wed 21-Nov-12 09:49:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FellatioNelson Wed 21-Nov-12 12:01:43

Well short of losing an immediate member of your family or being terminally ill yourself (for which everyone gives you sympathy and understanding) I am struggling to think of very many things that are as bad as being wrongly, and very publicly, accused of being a pedophile. confused

DuelingFanjo Wed 21-Nov-12 12:02:49

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AnyaKnowIt Wed 21-Nov-12 12:07:35

I heard that the money will be going to children in need

I'll see if I can find a link

AnyaKnowIt Wed 21-Nov-12 12:09:02

Well - he hasn't said he intends to do so, Dueling - and given that he has been very upfront about his intended actions so far, I imagine he would have done.

I get the impression that, whilst he is horrified to have been incorrectly identified, his ire is directed at those who tweeted and retweeted the accusation. Maybe he sees that the identification by the man concerned, and the police force's acceptance of that identification were genuine errors, and that the police were right to believe the man concerned (in line with the We Believe You campaign philosophy).

The police acted on the information that they had available to them, and presumeably changed their actions once the information changed. That, to me, would show that it was a genuine error - though I don't know if they have apologised, without prejudice, to Lord McAlpine for the upset caused - which is what I would think was reasonable for them to do.

LimburgseVlaai Wed 21-Nov-12 12:15:43

I am genuinely confused about this and would be grateful for some help here:

I didn't see the Newsnight programme in question, but as I understand it Lord McAlpine wasn't actually named in the programme - they only said "a very senior Tory" or something similar.

Is that correct? If so, why is Newsnight in trouble? Wasn't it just that his name was bandied around on Twitter?

And where does that idiot on the breakfast programme fit in? The one who presented Cameron with a list scraped together from internet gossip and demanded an investigation? (name escapes me)

Sorry - I really am confused and can't find a straight answer on the BBC news site. Thank you for your help.

Aboutlastnight Wed 21-Nov-12 12:32:01

"I feel like it might be a good thing if the people who he says he wants to sue all say 'see you in court'."

Well lwt's hope they have the evidence to prove that what they tweeted is true - because that is what they would have to do.

Newsnight pointed viewers in the direction of Internet info that named mcAlpine - that is also libel, you can repeat libels and be sued, you can also libel someone by implication.

Aboutlastnight Wed 21-Nov-12 12:34:47

Also it was possible to see the names on the list Schofield presented to Cameron thus libelling those people as potential paedophiles.

Info provided by police as part if an investigation is privileged though so cannot be libellous.

DuelingFanjo Wed 21-Nov-12 12:51:57

"I didn't see the Newsnight programme in question, but as I understand it Lord McAlpine wasn't actually named in the programme - they only said "a very senior Tory" or something similar"

People have told me it was implied. Not sure how.

It's odd. The BBC pull a programme naming Jimmy Saville as a sex offender and everyone gets their knickers in a big twist about why they didn't show it.

Newsnight make a programme where they don't name a suspected sex offender and everyone get's their knickers in a big twist about why they showed it.

I DO think McAlpine's politics are relevant, though I sympathise with him, because it's clear that there is a very political campaign against the BBC and has been for several years. Is McAlpine a part of that? I don't know. It's all very interesting though.

I didn't know police information couldn't be libelous, it can be incorrect and ruin lives though.

grimbletart Wed 21-Nov-12 13:02:18

He worded that 'worst thing" sentence badly. If he had said that being accused of child abuse was the "worst accusation" that could have happened it would have been much better and entirely understandable.

However, if someone is libelled so badly I think it is perfectly OK for them to take action. And it would be great if he does then donate any compensation to appropriate charities.

I am glad, TBH, that that chattering idiots on Twitter who have no conception of/don't care about innocent until proven guilty and pass on rumour and gossip as fact should have to answer for what they said. I wonder how they would feel about being accused of child abuse? All they have done with their infantile tweetings is move the focus away from the real issue - child abuse and caused more pain for the victims, particularly Stephen Measham.

Bluegrass Wed 21-Nov-12 13:16:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

mignonette Wed 21-Nov-12 13:23:01

Really? You really think Lord McAlpine did this on purpose, mignonette?

On a purely practical level, this sort of mud (paedophilia accusations) is the sort that sticks the most, when thrown, so using this as a way to discredit another person or people could backfire most hideously on the person using this 'ploy'. It would make no sense to use false accusations of paedophilia in this way - anyone sufficiently machiavellian to do this would surely also be sufficiently cunning to pick less inflammatory accusation - environmental damage by one's company, improper financial dealings, sexual impropriety with another adult or adults.

DuelingFanjo Wed 21-Nov-12 13:59:43

"DuelingFanjo - when you say that Lord McAlpine's politics are 'relevant', you don't mean that it is more acceptable wrongly to accuse a Tory of child abuse than a supporter of another political party?"

yes, you are correct, I don't mean that.

mignonette Wed 21-Nov-12 14:01:37

In the circumstances, that may not be the most sensible thing to say, mignonette.

OneMoreChap Wed 21-Nov-12 14:12:00

My understanding was that the accusation was leaked on another programme by the founder of the Bureau of Investigative Journalism who co-oped on the Newsnight programme.

Aboutlastnight Wed 21-Nov-12 14:14:03

Ever read 'The Trial' mignonette?

Bluegrass Wed 21-Nov-12 14:14:20

I am basing what I say on the facts I have read, Bluegrass. If you are aware of any corroborated or otherwise verified evidence to back up what you are implying, please post it or link to it.

mignonette Wed 21-Nov-12 14:26:27

OneMoreChap Wed 21-Nov-12 14:29:13

As an aside, can I point out that if requested, Mumsnet will cough up your details in a heartbeat if presented with the appropriate - and very affordable - court documents.

I'd recommend a degree of circumspection if you think you are making "oh so clever" posts. Extremely expensive silks may disabuse you of that notion.

mignonette Wed 21-Nov-12 14:30:06

I'm not trying to be clever. I am asking a question.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now