Am I being over-sensitive? If not, help me write an email back!

(6 Posts)
mirai Sat 17-Nov-12 04:32:21

DH and I live abroad and recently got married. We filed our marriage with the UK authorities and have just received a letter from the UK's Identity and Passport Service to confirm receipt etc.

The letter is addressed to "Mr and Mrs XYZ", but then the letter opens with "Dear Mr XYZ," and goes on to talk about his marriage!

I don't think I am being picky here but at the same time if I write an email to them I don't want them to be rolling their eyes at me(!) What should I say? smile

I don't think you are being over-sensitive and definitely think you should write back. No idea how to phrase it though. Sure someone who has a way with words will be along in a bit.

mirai Sat 17-Nov-12 15:06:16

Thanks, just bumping smile

grimbletart Sat 17-Nov-12 15:28:24

If you want to email I think I would do it in a sort of jokey way. For example..

My husband and I were a little bemused by your letter addressing Dear Mr... etc. as we were under the impression that marriage involves two people.

We realise that the concept of marriage has changed somewhat in recent years but were not aware that a man could now be married without any other person involved. Clearly we must have missed something, unless there is a new security policy decision to make one of the two passport holders invisible.

IF so, we are somewhat concerned as invisibility could cause difficulties on presenting her passport, especially when it comes to her photograph.

Yours etc.

Mr x and Mrs X (who was not invisible when she last checked and would rather like to be acknowledged as actually existing).

BelleCurve Sat 17-Nov-12 21:24:08

I think you should write back and explain there has been an error in their letter.

I had the same issue with HMRC with a tax bill for both me and (now-X) H.

Funnily enough, they had no problem taking my money!

It can be a pain, but my little bit of feminist activism is to take a zero tolerance policy on this sort of thing.

It is amazing the number of times the wrong title is used, i.e. they pick the one they think you are without asking.

Our bank did this.

Yes Santander, I'm looking at you. I went into the branch and had a hissy fit in public.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now