Cambridge inviting Julian Assange to speak - please sign petition petition

(13 Posts)
Sunnywithachanceofshowers Wed 14-Nov-12 22:08:43

Hello all

Copied and pasted from Facebook:

"I am writing to you in my capacity as women's officer of Cambridge University's Women's Campaign to ask you to please help Cambridge Women.

We share a University with a society called Cambridge Union Society. Last year they hosted Dominique Strauss Kahn in the middle of his rape trials. We staged a huge protest www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/09/cambridge-students-protest-dominique-strauss-khan

They have just informed us that they have invited Julian Assange to make his first public speech since being in the Embassy. He will be speaking via skype link on 27th November and one of our strategies is a national petition.

We decided upon this because we don't want Cambridge women to feel isolated again in our protest against him. We would be SO grateful if you would share this petiton

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-cambridge-union-society-revoke-the-invitation-to-assange-3

on your facebook page and with any feminists you know asking them to sign it because if we can get over 1000 signatures we can show the Union just how pissed off we are at their continual abuse of their platform.

Please, please, help us out and share this - we really need national support in telling the Union that enabling accused rapists to speak and revamp their public image is just not ok. We believe, no matter what the context, accused rapists should face trial and not be protected by their privilege and societal power.

Thankyou,
CUSU Women's Campaign"

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 14-Nov-12 23:59:26

Will sign tomorrow!

Signed, thanks for making us aware.

FromEsme Thu 15-Nov-12 17:08:13

Thanks, have signed it, I wasn't aware of this issue.

MrsHoarder Thu 15-Nov-12 17:15:34

I came on here all ready to point out how any encouragement to get him out of the embassy was a good thing. If he wasn't too cowardly to face up to his actions (in a European, signed up to Human Rights country) then how can anyone take him seriously? Will sign.

grimbletart Thu 15-Nov-12 18:08:36

Actually I can't help smiling when I think of him grow old, grey and in time, unheard, in the bowels of the Ecuadorian embassy....he must be living a fun life there.

HalloweenNameChange Thu 15-Nov-12 20:34:27

it's still better than prison though gimbletart. When women are are bein abused on campuses around the world why would Cambridge think this is a good idea?

MrsHoarder Thu 15-Nov-12 20:37:24

Is it better than prison? unless the charges are dropped he's under house arrest which will be added to his jail term should he get one. This just gets him more publicity.

HalloweenNameChange Thu 15-Nov-12 21:18:38

fancy embassy, or a prison where he likely to suffer just what he did to those women.... i know what i would choose

MrsHoarder Thu 15-Nov-12 21:51:06

Halloween: But unless he stays in the embassy for the rest of his life he will end up in the prison. He's just gone and put himself under house arrest.

And I don't know what Swedish prisons are like. Do you?

signed.

FastidiaBlueberry Thu 15-Nov-12 22:26:04

"why would Cambridge think this is a good idea?"

Because Cambridge wants to promote the normalisation of rape?

Because they have a vested interest in ensuring that rapists are supported while victims are silenced?

Because Jimmy Savile is president of Cambridge Union?

<Racks brain>

jennylindinha Thu 15-Nov-12 22:28:21

Signed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now