Is this the kind of crap that subtly undermines women?

(80 Posts)
duchesse Tue 13-Nov-12 09:21:25

Friend and his wife are both acknowledged authorities in their (similar) fields. Both have been separately invited to speak at something. Both have same honorary title. She always uses her own surname, has never used his.

Hotel booking when they arrived was for (for example) "Dr FirstName LastName & Mrs HisFirstName HisLastName".

AmandaCooper Thu 15-Nov-12 18:14:37

lollystix if he has no contract with them, tell him not to pay - and chase them for your invoice.

lollystix Thu 15-Nov-12 19:09:38

Amanda - the annoying thing is I pay it all anyway as I sort out our lives re banking and admin etc. We're in NZ and I wonder if it's a country thing? School phoned yesterday to tell me Ds1 sick and I said I'd send nanny to get him and they were shocked on the phone- didn't know I worked!

WreckOfTheBeautiful Thu 15-Nov-12 20:33:29

Argh this sort of thing winds me up more than it should! A few months ago I booked a hotel for my (male) DP and me using my name and title (Dr). When I arrived they had listed him as the primary guest and wouldn't let me sign for the key, despite the fact he wasn't arriving for a other two hours, until I kicked up an almighty fuss. I then paid for the room using my credit card with my title and my surname. And still they persisted in calling me Mrs His-surname throughout my stay and in subsequent communications. angry

goralka Thu 15-Nov-12 20:37:51

tis a proper wind-up - I remember my brother telling me I had 'no right' to call my self <Mrs. Myname> after I was married and didn't take my husband's name!
NO RIGHT TO USE MY OWN NAME!!!! (breeeethe)

jiminyCrick Thu 15-Nov-12 20:59:06

How annoying!! I can't stand this kind of crap. When me and FH got married, we BOTH changed our names by deed poll so that we both have each others surname (I still use my maiden name, but it's nice to share)

His parents just couldn't get the hang of it, and still send me post addressed to Mrs His initial His Surname. I have not become him!!

Oddly enough, my dad was explaining to my 9 year old nephew how in Italy( my family is Italian) Women don't change their names as they are equal. He came to me confused and said "but then their not family without the same name" I responded with "but why should a women take her husbands name? Is that fair?" He replied (lovely boy) "then they should both change their names, so long as they have the same name"

So there is hope for the male future!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now