Are itv giving Nadine Dorris an anti-abortion platform?

(25 Posts)
mcmooncup Mon 12-Nov-12 20:26:09

Oh yuck. That's horrible, posie.

netto - so, is it normally clear what axe people have to grind? Or do they just edit it all out so it's just about their personality?

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 12-Nov-12 20:12:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PosieParker Mon 12-Nov-12 20:11:13

DAvid Hayes said

(deep breath)

That fighting his opponent would be like a gang rape.

NettoSpookerstar Mon 12-Nov-12 20:10:09

I'll admit to loving reality TV, and always watch this show, but I'm very, very pro choice, and the thought that her anti abortion stance will be given an airing sickens me.

Now, I doubt they'll show any of that on TV, but if she comes across well, is personable/fun/decent etc etc, then it may get people to then follow her later.

Oh - that doesn't sound good mooncup. sad

I think she needs to be 'given' a platform, that's what I'm trying to say. She has the same options for speaking out as anyone else.

I think it's valid to say ITV shouldn't have given her this extra visibility, even if she does end up looking like an idiot.

catgirl1976 Mon 12-Nov-12 20:07:53

I don't know about David Hayes other than he's a boxer

What has he said?

mcmooncup Mon 12-Nov-12 20:07:08

I'm more concerned about David Hayes' anti-woman stance and him spreading rape myths

SomersetONeil Mon 12-Nov-12 20:06:08

I just commented on the other thread before seeing this one.

I actually can't think of a better platform for her, to be honest. In all honesty, this probably couldn't have been masterminded better.

Watch her crash and burn. I'd love to be able to but am not in the UK any more. Please keep this thread updated! grin

GrimmaTheNome Mon 12-Nov-12 20:05:59

Hopefully it will backfire on her. In future years, she'll be the anti-abortion campaigner that people remember as the loon from 'I'm a...' who was briefly an MP.

I don't watch this sort of program...curious to know who else they've scraped up got on the show

catgirl1976 Mon 12-Nov-12 20:05:36

Ummmmmmmm I have googled it an I only know who about 2 of the people are sad

catgirl1976 Mon 12-Nov-12 20:04:42

I don't know who is on it...

<goes off to google>

PosieParker Mon 12-Nov-12 20:04:06

Who else is in the jungle that will argue another viewpoint?

Surely ITV will not, unless super scrappy and entertaining, want people switching off from her crazy factless rants?

catgirl1976 Mon 12-Nov-12 20:02:26

Well I'm not sure what platform you would give her. I suppose yes, as an MP she does have one already.

The George Galloway comment gives me great hope this will be the end of her though and might make people who have not really thought about abortion or lean to pro-life think "Jesus, I don't want to be associated with someone like that"

I have never watched it but am tempted too just to see what she is like

I also think ITV will have zip interest in her political views and assume their audience won't either and be much more interested in footage of people eating maggots.

Yes, true. But I think that thinking she shouldn't be given this platform and thinking she shouldn't be given any platform aren't the same.

It sounds like hysterical hand-wringing to claim that's 'silencing', to me. She's perfectly able to speak out in her capacity as an MP, and as a private person - she doesn't need to be on TV to do it.

catgirl1976 Mon 12-Nov-12 19:54:34

Being pissed off with her isn't silencing her

But thinking she should not be allowed a platform for her views would be

She is an idiot. I can't see she will come across as anything other than an unpleasant loon.

I'm not happy.

Of course she has a right to express her view. I have a right to express my view. Should I ring up ITV and ask them for a slot? No?

Then being pissed off with her being on this programme ain't 'silencing' her.

I do hope and trust she will make a total idiot of herself, though, as you're saying.

stargirl1701 Mon 12-Nov-12 19:50:44

Just remember what happened with George Galloway and the cat on BB...

catgirl1976 Mon 12-Nov-12 19:49:09

But as much as I disagree with her view, she does have the right to espouse it. I suppose ideally they would have someone with an opposite view to counter her (although you would kind of hope that would be pretty much all the other contestants, whoever they are)

Plus I think she will just end up decrediblising herself, and hopefully, by associatation, her views.

Rindercella Mon 12-Nov-12 15:08:22

Agree with AKiss. I cannot see how she is going to come out of this with any credibility at all.

Do you really think itv will show much anti abortion discussion when they cut the programme? What's she going to do, talk about abortion with a mouth full of kangaroo penis?

I despise the woman but I think going on I'm a celeb will only lower her credibility.

namechangeguy Mon 12-Nov-12 15:03:22

Do you think people should be silenced though, or refused a platform, even if you don't agree with them? Although I would not put Dorries in the same category as Griffin/the BNP/EDL, I think the best thing you can do with extreme viewpoints is to give them the chance to put their case and allow the public to see how misguided they are.

They are usually their own worst enemy.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 12-Nov-12 14:33:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

weegiemum Mon 12-Nov-12 13:49:08

she's in I'm a Celebrity (which I doubt, but there you go!)

Shes said she plans to use her time in the "jungle" to talk about her anti-abortion stance as much as she can.

I'm not happy that she's being given this "platform" by itv. But what can you do (I've already complained, and I don't even watch it!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now