As if you didn't need more reasons to think David Attenborough is an actual God.......

(13 Posts)
mcmooncup Sun 11-Nov-12 17:29:37

David Attenborough in an interview in this week?s Radio Times:

He is asked by Chris Packham:

?Wouldn?t that sadden you [talking about overcrowding and economic growth spelling disaster for the environment]? Like you, I think that the single-greatest threat to the planet as a whole in terms of its biodiversity is the over-population of humans???Would it not sadden you if we weren?t able to regulate, obviously passively, human population? If it has to come to a catastrophe, what a sad indictment of our own evolution.?

In response -

DA ?There is one solitary ray of hope. And that is, in those circumstances where women have control of their own bodies, where they are educated, where they have proper medical facilities, and they have the vote, and they can do what they wish and not be instructed by men, the birth rate falls.?

Rock on David.

ConsiderCasey Sun 11-Nov-12 18:29:01

Yes that's lovely of him. It's heartwarming when nice men speak up for women's rights.

SomersetONeil Sun 11-Nov-12 18:55:27

So inherently obvious, isn't it?

Great to hear someone so influential and respected speaking out like that. smile

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 11-Nov-12 22:04:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 11-Nov-12 23:07:21

To me, he's not saying it because he's sspecifically speaking up for women's rights (though he may well do that sometimes as well). He's saying it because he's someone whose career and outlook involves examining evidence and drawing conclusions, and there is good evidence for what he says.

I think he's fantastic 'n' all, of course.

bitsofmeworkjustfine Sun 11-Nov-12 23:12:06

good grief.. chris Packham suggesting we regulate womens reproduction to save the planet?

jog on bunny boy....

David.... I think that you have hit the nail on the head.. well done

mcmooncup Sun 11-Nov-12 23:12:42

It is depressing that a man has to say it. But he's not just any man. It is impossible to be suspicious of him.

I'm such a fan. He is a good man and I wish there were more like him.

bitsofmeworkjustfine Sun 11-Nov-12 23:15:30

didnt marilyn monroe say....i dont mind living in a mans world so long as I dont have to be a man?

i wish there were more people like DA too

summerflower Sun 11-Nov-12 23:27:46

>>It's incredibly depressing that a man has to say it in order for it to be taken seriously <<

I find it profoundly depressing that it needs saying full stop. The more I think about it, the more completely bizarre it seems to deny people education, opportunities, control over their bodies etc, on the basis of sex (or indeed, race or creed or ability or sexuality). It doesn't fill me with hope for man(human)kind.

none of which detracts from what David Attenborough said of course. I'm just feeling negative today.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 11-Nov-12 23:31:59

I don't think Chris packham was advocating control over women's bodies.

Himalaya Mon 12-Nov-12 00:10:14

DoS - I agree. Haven't read the full interview but it doesn't sound like what Chris Packham is saying.

It sounds like he is talking about whether population growth will level off and fall because people have fewer children or because of environmental catastrophes causing disease, wars and famines. Irony think he is advocating regulating women's fertility.

ConsiderCasey Mon 12-Nov-12 10:49:36

Yeah it is a bit depressing that if a man says it he gets taken seriously, if a woman says it she is seen as having an agenda.

But it's still good that he says it.

PosieParker Mon 12-Nov-12 20:13:03

Ooooo I was a bit off him following his letching over Cameron Dias.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now