A question about Asda's Christmas advert

(124 Posts)

When I first saw it (and every time since tbh) my gut reaction was that it is sexist. The woman does all the work while the man does nothing. It's insulting to both genders.

But I have seen numerous posts on here, and been told by several friends, that this is a fairly good representation of Christmas for them and their friends. So my question is this:

Is the advert still sexist if it is actually representative? I think it is but I'm struggling to articulate why.

SomersetONeil Thu 15-Nov-12 21:26:37

Again, I really think it's worth reiterating - this isn't just Christmas for some people. This is their every day reality.

It's all nice and warm and fuzzy and glowy on Christmas day, mabye (well, it's not, but you know what I mean), but living like that woman does, day in day out is NOT OK.

Check out the relationship board and AIBU and you will see women piling in to tell other women not to put up with this sort of crap. Yet, here are so many women trying to defend it. confused

It's really important to remember the bigger picture. It's one thing to look at this through rose-tinted glass when it's all about Christmas. But this kind of opting out of family life by the man and leaving it all to the woman breeds insidious resentment and breaks up families...

avenueone Thu 15-Nov-12 21:30:03

It's really important to remember the bigger picture. It's one thing to look at this through rose-tinted glass when it's all about Christmas. But this kind of opting out of family life by the man and leaving it all to the woman breeds insidious resentment and breaks up families... spot on. Government after government bang on about keeping families together yet they do very little to stop this blatant sexist, misogynist view of family life.

scottishmummy Mon 19-Nov-12 19:16:56

absolute hysterical reaction.the ad replicates a life some housewives enact
by being domestic slave and doggsbody this reinforces women's role/place at home.the ad isn't fantasy or hyped up representation,it's a reflection of how some people live.the ad isn't blatantly sexist or misogynist at all,I've read enough mn threads to know the muthas are goddesses and best and hardest so called job js being mum.this ad runs,get chse because it reflects some folk life and norms

save your ire this isn't about govt or deeply held misogyny. it's a reflection of how some folk live

ATourchOfInsanity Mon 19-Nov-12 19:30:40

Is it not better to have an ad thanking women who DO have this type of Christmas than none at all? Anything highlighting the inequalities in families like this needs to be seen. It will spark reactions and then something might change, if that is indeed what women who have this type of family want.

scottishmummy Mon 19-Nov-12 19:34:31

what if the housewife chose that domestic role
given all the literature,blogs,politics about female role don't ave masses rising up
I don't predict asda ad will have housewives querying their role,status and representation

tethersend Mon 19-Nov-12 19:39:28

I think it's sexist in that it accepts the status quo with a shrug of the shoulders and a merry little laugh, instead of challenging it.

It would have been very easy to make a similar advert acknowledging that most women do all the Xmas prep, but challenging it.

scottishmummy Mon 19-Nov-12 19:58:40

if its sexist to represent Xmas like this
is it sexist/stereotypical behaviour to enact these roles in real life,male and female?
is there comment on that kind of female role,that representation of asda xmas

tethersend Mon 19-Nov-12 20:19:41

I don't think it's sexist to represent Xmas like this- but adverts are not impartial, they make comment on the representation. It's the comment that this advert makes on the status quo which is sexist, IMO.

scottishmummy Mon 19-Nov-12 21:14:46

equally sexist is women and men enacting such stereotypical roles in rl
knackered martyr mummy, bit fick put the kettle on love,dad.chores=mum does
people live like this,asda represented this.this is the women know your place roles enacted by both genders

tethersend Mon 19-Nov-12 21:31:43

I agree, it is sexist that this happens so much IRL- however, imagine the Asda advert with a different ending where the mum doesn't smile to herself and sigh happily at being asked 'what's for tea?', but instead sits in the kitchen sobbing into the parsnips and drinking a can of Kestrel super while the camera fades to black.

Both adverts would be representing a RL truth, ie that most women do the vast majority of xmas tasks, but they would be saying very different things.

PearlyWhites Mon 19-Nov-12 22:16:08

Adverts are meant to appeal to the majority and It's a true representation for myself and many other mums.Ifthat's not how you do things that's fine but no need for cries of sexism.

scottishmummy Mon 19-Nov-12 22:20:44

that's my point for many this will be accurate representation
it will accurately reflect how tasks are divvied up,and woman does bulk domestic
asda too will contend is accurate,humorous ad which they reckon is accurate reflection

tethersend Mon 19-Nov-12 22:25:13

But is it accurate on its depiction of the woman just shrugging her shoulders and accepting that that's the way it is? Who's to say that 90% of the women who do most of the xmas tasks don't fucking hate it? I'm sure many do. Why can't the advert represent that?

scottishmummy Mon 19-Nov-12 22:34:18

the ad represents a supposed norm,the way it is for many the
face it,ad woman won't rise up to demand equality in undertaking tasks.shared division labour
what's the beef with this ad?that women live like this?or they dont hurl the parsnips at man and demand better treatment

scottishmummy are you really suggesting that if something is the norm it must also be fine and that everyone is equal? hmm

SomersetONeil Tue 20-Nov-12 06:44:23

"I've read enough mn threads to know..."

...that most women even going to the trouble of posting threads on MN about this (Asda) sort of set up do so because they're absolutely miserable and hate that their 'D'P doesn't lift a finger to help.

So sorry if it then bothers you that some people are picking up on that and using the Asda ad to highlight how shit it is for some people.

"If that's not how you do things that's fine but no need for cries of sexism."

Why not?

If it's how you do things and you're happy with it, what do you care if other people find it deeply sexist? I mean, it is, after all. Does people calling 'sexism' make you a bit uncomfortable? It must do, if you don't want people to use the word. Why does it make you feel uncomfortable?

ATourchOfInsanity Tue 20-Nov-12 21:45:41

I think a matrimonial law firm should take up tethersend's 'fade to grey' version to drum up business in January grin
Then we all win. Right? People happy with ad as is get it their way pre-Christmas and people who hate it and think it is sexist, get their bit of post-Christmas 'realism'.

scottishmummy Tue 20-Nov-12 23:15:01

erroneous paraphrasing no,i dont need an edict from you telling me life shit for the asda housewife so everyone else got to get bovvered on their behalf

if a woman is that martyred mum asda portrays.they need to reflect are they happy? or did this just get foisted upon them?

and like it or not some women do live like this. I suppose the rub is whether they feel put upon or not. certainly id never be the martyred asda mum,but id also never be financially dependent upon another adult

if one has a dp who doesnt lift a finger,then that woman needs to share some responsibility too for the dp inertia. this isnt just wholly imposed as male dominance,some women enact and profess to like traditional role set up such as housewife at home,man work. and indeed many on mn assert housewife is their choice

now to return to point,if one has a partner who does sweet fa,then that woman need to examine and reflect upon her role..does she enact these stereotypical roles...does she like these gender roles? or has this inequitable arrangement arose but never been resolved

is it the asda ad and its representation that is objected to
or is it the knowledge that for some people this is the life they lead and ts accurate representation

FunBagFreddie Mon 26-Nov-12 13:46:49

Considering the fact that companies like Asda are meticulous about marketing, the advert is clearly aimed at a certain demographic, so maybe there are a lot of people who relate to that advert? But yes, I think it's sexist.

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 26-Nov-12 13:53:13

it's an awful sexist advert. If I had done all that work and then be made to sit on the pouffe for my Christmas lunch, someone if not all of them would have been stabbed with the Turkey knife.

I know some families where this would be considered quite normal and I hate it. It's so devisive. Everyone should share the work as a matter or course.

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 26-Nov-12 13:59:29

I think that's where it gets it so wrong, the happy smile at the end of the ad. tethers Kestrel version is far more likely. However I am judging the ad by my own standards, maybe there are leigons of women out there who would smile lovingly at the suggestion of more work?

FunBagFreddie Mon 26-Nov-12 14:05:39

It wouldn't happen in our house Funnys, that's for sure. But maybe I just don't know my place!

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 26-Nov-12 14:41:36

I most certainly don't know my place FunBag grin I would be so miserable in a family like that

FunBagFreddie Tue 27-Nov-12 08:05:59

I'd be miserable too FunnysInLaJardin, but it's just never going to happen. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now