ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

A question about Asda's Christmas advert

(124 Posts)
PeggyCarter Sat 10-Nov-12 18:51:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yama Sun 11-Nov-12 19:37:46

Actually ConsiderCasey, dh and I have a deal - he helps at his relatives' houses, I help at mine. I would hate there to be an expectation that I help as I'm female.

ConsiderCasey Sun 11-Nov-12 19:54:36

Yama, that sounds very fair. I do notice that when SIL comes over she helps way more than my bro. It's a toughie cos on the one hand you want to help the woman who is doing the work but then you are reinforcing stereotypes.

Yama Sun 11-Nov-12 19:59:20

Yes, a toughie alright. Trying to bring dd up to be helpful and kind but not to accept being treated differently or allowing people to have differing expectations of her because she is female is tricky.

What atourch said.

I imagine there are some women out there who do these things because their lazy-arsed husbands expect it of them, but I think there are many more households where the woman might happen to be a better cook, a more imaginative and organised present buyer and prefer to organise Christmas for the house - and their DH is grateful for what they do as well as pulling his weight in other areas.

Mine always gets the drinks for guests, loads and unloads the dishwasher, does his fair share of tidying and occupying DS while I swear at the oven because I can't fit everything in prepare the meal.

He also pays for it but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention that on this board.

scottishmummy Sun 11-Nov-12 20:33:13

imo for so long as women are housewives who make home their domain,this will be representation will perpetrated.
as it will be a representation of housewife at home,man work
woman do all domestic duties,male do external work

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 11-Nov-12 20:49:45

Beamae Sun 11-Nov-12 20:53:48

I think where this ad really went wrong was the lack of appreciation she seems to get. Obviously it is the experience of some people that the mother does all the work to make Christmas special, but I'm pretty sure they get feet up and a Baileys while someone else does the dishes. They really should have had the kids helping with the wrapping, the father helping with the peeling and the inlaws doing the washing up. The mother can still be the hero of Christmas by being the driving force, planner and organiser. She doesn't have to be a slave. If I had just cooked the whole meal on my tod, I'd expect someone to offer me a chair to eat at the table and a big fat glass of wine in front of the fire while they tidied away. The ridiculous grin on her face when she sees them all parking off in the lounge is the problem in a nutshell. It implies that women should be happy with their sorry lot and find their own reward in selflessness.

purrpurr Sun 11-Nov-12 21:01:39

Morrisons have released a carbon copy of Asda's Christmas advert, btw. Which paves the way for Tesco to release an ad featuring a harried man organising everything whilst his wife drinks tea. Are you listening, Tesco?

kim147 Sun 11-Nov-12 21:04:29

Boots have lost the girls. I think this advert is trying to appeal to a wider audience.

www.boots.com/en/Boots-2012-Christmas-TV-advert_1245098/

This is what I wrote on the other thread:

The fact that it represents reality for a lot of women isn't really the point. The problem is that it presents that as normal, inevitable, even desirable. I do not want my son and daughter to grow up thinking that those are the roles they have to grow up and slot into. They aren't.

Personally, I do most of Christmas. It's because I really enjoy it. I've still complained to the ASA about this ad, because I totally resent anybody telling me that I do it because that's just what mums do. They can bugger off with that.

PeggyCarter Sun 11-Nov-12 21:22:37

ATourchOfInsanity Sun 11-Nov-12 21:22:59

So women getting hairdryers, little girls playing with nail varnish, women being given perfume that the man approves of and men getting shaving gear because they are men isn't sexist?

kim147 Sun 11-Nov-12 21:27:38

Didn't say it wasn't sexist. Just said it's trying to show more people in it.

kim147 Sun 11-Nov-12 21:28:57

And at least she didn't get something practical for the kitchen smile

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 11-Nov-12 21:58:38

avenueone Sun 11-Nov-12 22:04:15

My DS (when he was 4) used to get soo angry when `here come the girls' came on and used to run round shouting `here come the boys'...
Stunned by the Asda ad - as ok, foolishly some women still do all that crap and then smile sweetly at everyone else having fun and be ignored... but not this one.

PeggyCarter Sun 11-Nov-12 22:10:17

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 11-Nov-12 22:16:12

Yama Sun 11-Nov-12 22:35:05

SGM - when dd was quite young I made a decision to mute all adverts. They are so pervasive. It was toy advertising which first angered me. Girls were all about the nurturing, boys about doing and mastering.

I have been a bit lax with the rule of late. I must task dd with muting when I am not in the room. I'll tell her it's to protect her younger brother from the harmful messages.

Actually, I'd love to ban tv full stop but I know I won't to damage limitation it is.

Yama Sun 11-Nov-12 22:35:51

so not to

avenueone Mon 12-Nov-12 00:06:49

I keeps the ads on as my DS will be exposed to so much mass media when he gets a bit older - at least at home I can `talk him through it' he already says `those adverts are such liers they should be in jail' (I think he means the voice over person rather than him understanding the corporate structure of Hasbro).

kickassangel Mon 12-Nov-12 00:53:24

SGM I shall cat you re blogging next time I'm on the laptop. I used to teach media and so love this subject

blonderthanred Mon 12-Nov-12 10:26:52

It's been interesting to read the responses to this ad. I agree that the idea of the woman doing all the work is sexist, however what struck me was this:

Most ads now seem to trade on the idea that women/Mums run everything perfectly and men/Dads are hapless fools who cannot be trusted to cook dinner/clean the bath/look after the children. Which is just as sexist as it reinforces the notion that women should be doing everything domestic and it comes naturally, whereas men are out of their depth, slightly Neanderthal and better off left to their cars, computers or football.

In this ad the woman actually makes mistakes - chooses a tree that's too big, wrapping paper that's too small, has to sit on the pouffe at the table, in short, is slightly ridiculous but gets there in the end.

Am I mad to be thinking that ASDA were actually trying to be slightly subversive and offer a more rounded view?

ATourchOfInsanity Mon 12-Nov-12 11:16:20

That is the way I see it Blonde, but apparently women shouldn't be portrayed in ads unless they are doing something manly or nothing at all...

ATourchOfInsanity Mon 12-Nov-12 11:19:05

I think it is far less sexist than Boots as only one family is shown. In the Boots ad there are many different couples, all of which are hammering home different sexist points - that really IS normalizing it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now