So I have a theory on why women feel unsafe in short skirts!

(33 Posts)
PosieParker Fri 09-Nov-12 18:44:35

I think if you walk home at night in 'sexy' attire you are more likely to be a victim of casual abuse, wolf whistled, shouted at, etc. Therefore you feel unsafe and the ultimate in 'unsafe' is rape.

piprabbit Fri 09-Nov-12 18:46:30

Maybe it has something to do with the shoes too - I can run in a short skirt, but I can't run in high heels so I feel a bit more vulnerable in heels as I'm less able to look after myself.

PosieParker Fri 09-Nov-12 18:47:51

Yes, maybe. I always think really high heels are a good weapon!! shock

I don't feel unsafe in a short skirt.

BertieBotts Fri 09-Nov-12 20:38:54

Um, women feel unsafe in short skirts because society tells them they have reason to.

It's not an inherent thing though as LRD says.

AnyaKnowIt Fri 09-Nov-12 20:39:08

I don't think that an item of clothing makes me feel unsafe

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Fri 09-Nov-12 20:40:15

A short skirt wouldn't make me feel unsafe but fanjo would freeze!

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 09-Nov-12 20:40:28

I don't feel unsafe in a short skirt, in fact I wear skirts pencil to short a lot of the time.

I have a short skirt on now. I feel perfectly safe.

InSPsFanjo: that's what thermal tights are for. I was in asda today and I noticed they sell fleece lined tights.

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Fri 09-Nov-12 20:46:09

What's the point in a skirt if my fanjo doesn't get to breathe grin

SufferingLampreys Fri 09-Nov-12 20:50:16

I don't feel unsafe in a short skirt
I do feel ridiculous rhough

CoteDAzur Fri 09-Nov-12 20:53:39

I've never felt unsafe in a short skirt & never heard of anyone who does.

Aside from OP, does anyone feel unsafe in a short skirt?

PosieParker Fri 09-Nov-12 21:07:14

Erm I never wear short skirts.

But I have a number of friends who say that they feel okay about walking home late at night if they're wearing trousers/flat shoes and not 'going out' clothes.

PosieParker Fri 09-Nov-12 21:07:51

Cote perhaps you cannot really comment about how women feel in the UK as you've never lived here.shock

Sunnywithachanceofshowers Fri 09-Nov-12 21:14:05

I've never felt unsafe in a short skirt and I do live in the UK.

I got shouted and wolf whistled at in my winter coat.

I have no problem walking around at night with a short skirt on. I wasn't aware I should feel unsafe.

Things like the situation or area might make me feel unsafe, but not what I'm wearing.

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 09-Nov-12 21:44:01

Stealth boast there sunny grin

Sunnywithachanceofshowers Fri 09-Nov-12 21:45:26

I wish! :D

It was about 10 years ago and I was fucking terrified by the bloke who was shouting about my tits. I was covered up from head to toe.

MooncupGoddess Fri 09-Nov-12 21:48:47

I've never felt scared or unsafe while wearing a short skirt. I would feel unsafe in high heels, but I don't wear them (mostly because they're too uncomfortable and I can't run for the bus, but the safety thing is a secondary consideration).

CoteDAzur Fri 09-Nov-12 21:51:38

Read your thread, Posie. Do you really feel like you know how women feel about short skirts in the Uk?

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 09-Nov-12 22:45:21

I don't think that I have been whistled at more when I wear a short skirt or "sexy" attire than I wear normal clothes. I get more casual abuse if I'm riding my bike or running, than if I'm tarted up in party clothes.

Women feel unsafe because men threaten them. Simples.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 09-Nov-12 23:07:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MooncupGoddess Fri 09-Nov-12 23:13:51

That is just awful, SGM.

LynetteScavo Fri 09-Nov-12 23:24:55

I never felt unsafe wearing short skirts, but I was young and fit and only wore them with converse or Dr Martens.

I've never been a victim of casual abuse because I was wearing a short skirt, apart from one time when I was wearing a mini-skirt and DMs and a club bouncer checked out my legs and offered me a lift home. hmm But I think that would have happened even if I were wearing jeans.

I think long lucious hair will attract as much unwated attention as short skirts.

IME, worldwide, wearing lipstick will get you the biggest amount of abuse from men. There must be some secret code that in manycountries the only women who wear lipstick are prostitutes or something. But I wouldn't say I feel unsafe wearing lipstick. Not in the UK, anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now